Moving Forward

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
HFO

Re: Moving Forward

Post by HFO » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:01 pm

mookie wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:09 am Lehigh has lots of potential but potential has a shelf life. They need to fix their problem weights (141, 149, 165, 174, 285) for any chance of competing with the big boys. Clearly, Brignola needs to go full-time at 149 and Garcia at 285.

I'd also pull Reinsel's redshirt for 141 and have Lawrence & Burkhart cut to 165 and 174.

Otherwise, they're looking like a 3rd place EIWA team.
If it all could happen with weights. +1000
Lane will have to win a spot whether 125/133 or even 141. For now, Hines is still 141.
149 Absolutely agree that Brignola style keeps him in ALL his matches. He is the more complete college wrestler for the weight.
165 Meyer, Bryant, or someone dropping. Figure out how to make it more competitive.
174 Agree, more wrestle-offs. See who emerges. Maybe all of this happened. Burkhart making drop to seek a spot makes sense.
285 Now doubt when Garcia gets his wrestling lungs, he will crush current starter. This guy is an absolute athlete.

Lehigh will be much better team by EIWA than they are now. There are things that look very good. Have high hopes that the gaps will be closed.

HFO

Post by HFO » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:12 pm

Oracle wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:00 am mookie's post has merit. However.....

149 is interesting. Did Max burn his RS for this year yet? If not, there is merit to saving it and letting MB4 wrestle through his challenges. D1 these days is a bear. With so few programs talent is sky high at the top 30 programs.

165 -- IMO Logan cannot make it there, nor should he have to if he is the best 174 we have. Why? So fans can maximize *their* feelings of what's best? What about the guy who won his starting spot fair and square? Meyer is our best option but maybe he needs a kick in the a$$ and sit out a dual or two to think about how he approaches his bouts?
174 -- if Burkhart can beat out Logan, then fine. If not, Logan starts. Pretty simple. Fans may not like guys not winning enough but IMO the solution is not to penalize the best guy at the weight...unless the next guy up can win more.
285- Taylor is a work in progress. Silly to pull the plug on him so soon into his career. Or was him winning the Okla U dual already forgotten? I favor Garcia, but like I said, he has to win the spot, not be installed to mollify the fan base.

Reinsel should preserve his RS, Hines is the much better option. Does this qualify as vitriol?
How weights are determined has changed since Sheridan, Leeman, Turner? They pretty much told wrestlers where they would go during season and then EIWA. With NCAA rules, a bit different in weight drops. Do wrestlers have ability to call for a wrestle off anymore? Sheridan allowed it when guys were close in ability. Does Pat call for the wrestle offs and can a wrestler approach him and say he wants and opportunity to get into the lineup?

The crux of the problem is that at a number of weights, you have essentially non-top 20 talent of both the varsity and the wrestler seeking to get into the lineup. The upside may not even be there. When recruiting discussion happen, it is a reality that we just are not getting enough National caliber wrestlers ready in Year 1 the way that OK State, Iowa, Cornell, Ohio State and others have been able to get. However, Pat does the best he can with what he has.

Overall, this is a good team. EIWA is once again 4/5 team competitive and Lehigh might not be at the top, but it could be. Personally, I think at EIWA that we will do well at 141, 149, 165 , 174 and 285 whether current lineup or someone supplanting them. They should all be national qualifier weights. However, at NCAA, it could be 0-2. Hoping some of those weights could be 2-2 finishes. So we 5 strong and 5 works in progress.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:47 pm

Agree with your last comment/sentence.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:32 pm

drd5748 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:05 pm No vitriol here .... as long as fans remember "they need to fix it" means the coaches & athletes.
Anonymous gossip sure won't change the lineup.
p.s. the rules may be confusing but how can Max burn his r/s year by wrestling 2 bouts in Nov? The rule has changed but competing in 30% of the season's dates is the cut-off (no-go), I think (no,, we wouldn't fake an inj but how can the more liberal rules demand an injury now?)
Yes, you can compete in 30% (~5) dates in first half of season as a non-frosh- but as a non-frosh you would then have to claim injury. Frosh can do 5 regardless.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:14 pm

Do you know what first half means?

I count 16 duals, with 2 having Two duals OkSU-OkU and calPoly-NCS

So does first half end with first Semester finals?

Or does it end with the start of second semester classes, which I guess is after Bing?

Or Between Cornell and Bing?
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:06 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:14 pm Do you know what first half means?

I count 16 duals, with 2 having Two duals OkSU-OkU and calPoly-NCS

So does first half end with first Semester finals?

Or does it end with the start of second semester classes, which I guess is after Bing?

Or Between Cornell and Bing?
They might have changed the definition a little (used to be half the days between first competition and conference). Now before the start of the 10th date of competition.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:20 pm

OK, So Binghamton looks to be date 9.