Midlands - December 29/30

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
LUEngineer

Re: Midlands - December 29/30

Post by LUEngineer » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:51 am

With regard to Mookie post about EIWA, He has a valid point and it could be a great 4 team race in the Palestra if 2 things occur:

1) if Monday stays up at 165 & opens the path for Josh
&
2)If Crookham assumes our 141 spot for the balance of the season as that is a weak weight class that he could win.

Hopefully they pulled him to insure that outcome versus not some unknown injury that would keep him on the bench for this season.

We need him now to salvage this season & give us a fighting chance to win EIWA & have 4 legitimate candidates for AA at NCAA’s. We can’t maintain a wait til next year mindset & Crookham at 141 is the right “team “ decision.

I am prepared for the backlash I got on this suggestion in the Wilkes chain but it makes too much sense to ignore. All assumes Crookham not injured.

FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:28 pm

>>>>>>>>> I agree 141 is currently wide open for EIWAs, but don’t agree with burning Crookham’s redshirt and pushing him up a weight is the way to go.

Crookham has four year AA potential, give him time to fully develop and wrestle at his best weight. McGonagle really benefited from moving down to 133 this year——— moving Crookham up to 141 this year would have the opposite effect.

I believe the 141 focus will be on Hines ( former EIWA champ and 2X qualifier at 133)) staying healthy, improving and learning how to excel at the higher weight.

As for a four team EIWA race, barring unforeseen injuries, cu is the clear favorite, Lehigh a solid 2nd and Princeton/Penn fight it out for 3rd.

Just my opinion based on current rankings.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:41 pm

LUE, On the other hand.

Is Monday going up because Josh has looked a little bit better head to head? over the years (Actually, Monday has a better chance of winning EIWA at 165, But a better chance of winning 157.

If Crookham stays on shirt this season, he has a good chance of being a 4 time AA over the next 4 years, next year, at either 133 or 141. If he goes 141 this year it seems far less likely that he will place this year or get a shot at a non-injury Red Shirt.

As I see it, Dual meets the rest of the season we are underdogs Cornell, more so AzSU. very light favorites over Princeton, Penn, Navy. Don't see Crookham at 141 changing outcomes.

So the decision for Pat this year maybe 2nd at EIWA this year or RC being a four time place winner (only our third?)
D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:00 pm

Well... after viewing the results (not "seeing" ) of Ryan Crookham, I can see why everyone here is very high w/ optimism. He IS the real deal.

I'm all for him to RS this season to the max, because he's sure seems like a likely 4X AA that we haven't had in a while. (Jon Trenge, if it weren't for the detached retina before the post season in his frosh yr., would've been a definite candidate to be a AA 4x'er.)
Edit: Of COURSE... Troy Letter was another potential AA 4 X'er (how could I forget him...tanxs for the reminder Richb-3! :oops: )

He has a very promising future ahead of himself... let that play out FOR him!
D3
Last edited by D3 for LU on Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:05 pm

So what's the speculation w/ Monday... is he going to stay @ 165?
The win vs Hamiti, is telling imho.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/1 ... t-midlands
cheers!
d3
Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:08 pm

Very good point RichB & Floridaguy & I am sure these decisions keep Pat awake at night.

It is my impression that Crookham is both stronger & holds position better than either Hines or McGonagle at 141. So the decision is whether we want to give Crookham a chance to improve himself with tougher competition this season or sit on the bench only working out with the same guys in the room?

Also, with injuries & NIL you cannot count on getting 4 more years from anyone. Therefore, my philosophy is take the “bird in hand” to improve both the team this year & make Crookham better for next year at the same time. He can win EIWA title & maybe even place this year without waiting. I think he is that good that he will improve with each match against the bigger opponents. He is focused on winning & needs a challenge IMO this year.
mh1

Post by mh1 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:40 pm

If Crookham is beating McGonagle why would they push him to 141, if he intends to wrestle this year? Not sure I am board with that approach.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:46 pm

D3 for LU wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:05 pm So what's the speculation w/ Monday... is he going to stay @ 165?
The win vs Hamiti, is telling imho.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/1 ... t-midlands
cheers!
d3
Kenny Monday was quoted as saying that Quincy would be staying at 165.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:30 pm

Letters would have been a four time placer without the back-neck-shoulder. I always thought he looked to be getting less healthy as his junior year progressed. good shot at 2-1-1-1 if healthy.

Wish there was still red-shirt nationals to test the skills against the best one more time.

I am thinking opens remaining are F+M, 2nd East Stroudsburg, 2nd(or 3rd) LHU, and Edinboro. Others?
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:49 pm

Rules of Thumb in All of History: never talk about "4-time" anything until you've won at least a first title. Talking about it repeatedly doesn't improve the odds.

There are a pile of reasons why we only have two 4x A/As in our esteemed history. I'm sure you can come up with most of those reasons; most recently Josh getting screwed out of his 3rd final.

Ironically, our only two 4x A/As didn't redshirt 1st year out of the chute. Mark Lieberman sure wishes he had, as freshmen 6th seed upset by Ohio U's unranked Jack Raver when only 8 were seeded. I advised him during warm-ups that we had him ranked 10 in Mat News (5-4 upset)