Columbia

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
George Porgie

Re: Columbia

Post by George Porgie » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:31 pm

Chico wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:56 am Well, Columbia is formable which isn't a big surprise IMO.
Concerning last night, and before Mookie returns with little bits of falling sky that he found somewhere, we might well have beaten Penn 17 to 16 ( winning by 3 at 133 and 4 at at 157, given had our regulars.
Health is going to be a lot to do over the next duel meets.

On a thought for JAD77. I've been to Columbia lots of times (I live in NJ but used to come into NY to baby sit my grand daughter a couple of times a week, and rolled her all over the campus and one time took her into the wrestling room. (She's since grown and into dance. That must be Columbia's fault!) The campus is small, crowded, full of energy and people and nice.
That Said, The match is in the evening and finding parking is tough during the day but is worse in the evening because people are home then. You might have to find a spot 3 or 4 blocks away, or get lucky right away.
There are parking places(expensive) but I can't think of any right now. Maybe George Porgie would know. or Google it. What ever you do, leave some time for it.
Studying dance, oh my God, her life is over (sarcasm). Seriously, I wish her the best, I spent many years playing Broadway shows, Jerome Robbins Broadway, Chicago, Les Miz. While not the wealthiest folks I've ever met, they are some of the happiest.

JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:42 pm

Chico wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:56 am
That Said, The match is in the evening and finding parking is tough during the day but is worse in the evening because people are home then. You might have to find a spot 3 or 4 blocks away, or get lucky right away.
There are parking places(expensive) but I can't think of any right now. Maybe George Porgie would know. or Google it. What ever you do, leave some time for it.
Thanks - my daughter used to live just a block east of the campus on Morningside Drive. Because buildings are only on one side (Morningside park on the other), there was always a lot of parking available along there. Plus the 1 line runs right up to the entrance of the University if I decide to go that route (train to Penn Station, subway to Columbia).
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:47 pm

With LU's line-up v Navy plus Delaney at 133, wrestlestat sees it as a tie.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:31 pm

>>>>>>>>Didn’t you post a similar WrestleStat prediction for Navy.

Columbia has a solid lineup, imo, 141,157 and 165 are their best weights.

I like our chances at 141 with Hines and Brigs gave Cerniglia all he could handle at 157 ( Navy was helped by a questionable call)

I like Beard’s potential for bonus points the way he wrestled this past weekend and maybe a few guys will be healthy and back in the lineup. Would like to see what Crookham could do if McGonagle is still out.

I’m looking for a very workmanlike win over an improving Columbia team.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:16 am

FloridaGuy wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:31 pm >>>>>>>>Didn’t you post a similar WrestleStat prediction for Navy.

Columbia has a solid lineup, imo, 141,157 and 165 are their best weights.

I like our chances at 141 with Hines and Brigs gave Cerniglia all he could handle at 157 ( Navy was helped by a questionable call)

I like Beard’s potential for bonus points the way he wrestled this past weekend and maybe a few guys will be healthy and back in the lineup. Would like to see what Crookham could do if McGonagle is still out.

I’m looking for a very workmanlike win over an improving Columbia team.
I posted that Wrestlestat predicted 5 Navy wins and they won 4 (albeit 1 via forfeit). So they weren't far off.
LU in the Hub

Post by LU in the Hub » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:15 pm

Watched most of Columbia vs Penn last night and there should definitely be some good matchups, especially Bailey vs Babin, Hines vs Kazimir and Logan vs Wolak.

It would make the seedings a lot more interesting if Bailey can beat Babin and Berginc as all the 2nd. tier guys after Glory are beating each other. Babin got the 1st TD vs Penn, but it was pretty much all Miller after that. Kazimir gutted out a 1 point rideout win vs Ferrante. Alvan looked excellent beating Artalona in OT. I didn't know about him at all, and unfortunately we're not expecting Humphreys back. Ogunsanya also looked really good. Revano was in on his legs multiple times and couldn't score - too strong. Wolak is having a good year, but vs Incontrera he gave up a 6 pointer at the beginning and couldn't make up the ground. The Columbia heavyweight (Fr. from Waynesburg) looks pretty athletic. Nate will have to make him wrestle a big boy match.

PENN at COLUMBIA
125 – No. 24 Ryan Miller (PENN) def. No. 26 Nick Babin (COL) | Dec., 4-3
133 – No. 7 Michael Colaiocco (PENN) def. No. 26 Angelo Rini (COL) | Fall, 2:23
141 – No. 24 Matt Kazimir (COL) def. Carmen Ferrante (PENN) | D, 1-0
149 – No. 10 Doug Zapf (PENN) def. Danny Fongaro (COL) | D, 5-1
157 – No. 21 Cesar Alvan (COL) def. No. 12 Anthony Artalona (PENN) | D, 7-5
165 – No. 17 Joshua Ogunsanya (COL) def. No. 32 Lucas Revano (PENN) | D, 3-1
174 – No. 16 Nick Incontrera (PENN) def. No. 26 Lennox Wolak (COL) | MD, 10-2
184 – Maximus Hale (PENN) def. Aaron Ayzerov (COL) | D, 7-2
197 – No. 30 Cole Urbas (PENN) def. Jack Wehmeyer (COL) | D, 4-2
HWT – No. 29 Ben Goldin (PENN) def. Billy McChesney (COL) | D, 6-0
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:49 pm

Like last year when I mentioned Columbia as a "trap dual" -- this year's version is definitely no trap. Columbia is solid. And Lehigh is suspect. Lehigh does have a quality room and the reserves will give a good account of themselves, I'm sure.

Key bout right out of the gate is 125. Babin out of nowhere to become a factor at this weight. Bailey will have to set the tone, which means doing something positive from neutral right away. 133 without McG or Crookham is in the Columbia column. Another key bout is 141. Kazimir IMO has peaked -- I expected him to improve over his pretty strong last year --- but he's not peaking. Hines is peaking. I'm thinking Hines because confidence is a wonderful thing when you have it. I see 149/157 as a split with 165 solidly in the Columbia camp. Logan lost to Fine last year but Wolak is now the starter and having a decent season. 174 yet another key bout -- Logan should have some family and friends attend from nearby New Rochelle. Hopefully, that spurs him on to victory. Lehigh takes the last 3.

Summary:
125; toss-up/leaning Columbia (Babin)
133: Against Lehigh reserve, Columbia +3
141: toss-up/leaning Lehigh (Hines)
149: toss-up/leaning Lehigh (Bryant)
157: toss -up/leaning Columbia (Alvan)
165: Solidly Columbia +4
174: toss-up/leaning Columbia (Wolak)
184: Comfortably Lehigh
197: Solidly Lehigh +4
285: Comfortably Lehigh

Columbia 16 Lehigh 16* Obviously, it wouldn't take much for a few of the toss-ups to go LU's way to reverse the score. [toss-ups called based mostly on current rankings and recent dual results]

* wins on criteria
mookie

Post by mookie » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:41 pm

Lehigh does have a quality room and the reserves will give a good account of themselves, I'm sure. - LOL
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:21 pm

Dave Icenhower once told me "Anyone who places in the NJ states is a legit prospect." That seems to hold true with Max Brignola, a NJ 4th as a senior. Same for PA. Luca Frinzi and Conor Herceg are both rugged PA kids who know how to scrap. Delaney too.

So it's NOT LOL my friend.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:13 pm

When was the last time LU lost to Columbia? Quite a while ago, I suspect.