What it takes to place Top 15 at NCAAs

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Spladle1989

Re: What it takes to place Top 15 at NCAAs

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:22 am

FloridaGuy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:49 pm >>>>>>>>I’m still waiting for mookster or spladle to post the the long list of blue chip recruits in the last 5 years that missed.

I respect all opinions, but for opinions to hold water they need to have substance or they are just hot air.
Is this really the direction you want to take this? You want us to get into specifics on current wrestlers or wrestlers who just left the program?…..cause we are talking the last 5 years here, no matter how much Denny tries to make this a historical discussion……Or do you just want to assume you and of course Denny are right as always and we are just wrong and our opinion doesn't matter? I’ll leave it up to you and Denny if you really want to continue this discussion and get more specific or just respect our statements even if you disagree and leave it at that?
Last edited by Spladle1989 on Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

legger

Post by legger » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:13 am

**** At least Florida Guy tried to give and idea to try to remedy the problem. "Want more elite recruits——-raise money for a quality NIL program like we raised money in the past to endow scholarships and coaching positions, renovate Grace Hall and upgrade the wrestling facility."

**** Anyone else have any ideas?
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:47 am

I go back to Oracle’s original points which start with Lehigh recognizing the legacy of Wrestling as Lehigh’s premiere sport that requires special attention to retain that legacy. He is right on the mark!!!

We don’t need a better Grace Hall except a video board like at Rev Hall & better sound system.

Our wrestling room that Harmon/Caruso created is competitive.

We simply need a commitment to go after & land 2 blue chips per year that make the best fit for Lehigh which should include keeping District 11 Blue chips wrestling in front of their family & friends. When we have blue chip Sophomores at Beth Catholic/Nazareth/Norte Dame etc like we have at this very moment we should be able to be all over them with full stipend & academic latitude just like we are with minority kids to meet DEI objectives.

Administration starting in President’s office & AD need to set that as a priority tomorrow. NIL is a new issue that will also likely need to be addressed but should be for Wrestling only so once again to distinguish Wrestling from the Patriot League sports teams on campus with their restrictions.
oldhawk2

Post by oldhawk2 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:44 am

FloridaGuy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:49 pm >>>>>>>>I’m still waiting for mookster or spladle to post the the long list of blue chip recruits in the last 5 years that missed.

I respect all opinions, but for opinions to hold water they need to have substance or they are just hot air.

Much of DRD’s info is a long walk down memory lane, but even in peak Stroble years a fair amount of Lehigh’s NCAA points came from developing guys vs landing elite blue chip recruits.

Want more elite recruits——-raise money for a quality NIL program like we raised money in the past to endow scholarships and coaching positions, renovate Grace Hall and upgrade the wrestling facility.
I think FloridaGuy is on the right track here. While Lehigh has highly marketable tradition, it must find a way to get into the new horizons of college athletics. We are in a world of social media where results alone don't hold much weight in recruiting. NIL programs, Social Media recognition, Gear/Swag, and gorgeous facilities are now seeming to be ever more important factors that kids pay attention to in the recruiting process. The tradition is an excellent cornerstone to build on but there has to be more of a push into these realms to see continued success. Even though it is probably something that may not be in Lehigh's traditional brand, sometimes you have to bend tradition to add a little pop to things. I think that could be achieved across all Lehigh athletics but of course most effectively with the wrestling program. Its clear we are trending in that direction though which is promising. There are plenty of other programs across the country who seem like they're having more success than they actually due to their social media and branding and that 100% helps with recruiting.
George Porgie

Post by George Porgie » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:02 pm

mookie wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:58 am It really hurts when high-level recruits don't pan out. Holes are created that take several years to paper over.
We've had our share of these.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:02 pm

>>>>>>>>Once more into the breech.

mookster, spladle and now porgie with comments on “high level” recruits that didn’t pan out.

Who are these recent high level recruits that didn’t pan out?

The only guy in recent years that remotely fit that description was Ruth, who transferred out for self inflicted personal reasons——— and he was ranked #62 by Flo. I wish him well in his Midwest location.

I’d put him, along with a number of other recent Lehigh recruits,in the “good” category, but no where near a true blue chip in the top 10-20 category.

What is the criteria for a recruit in the 50-75 range panning out———-because the odds are against any of them reaching the NCAA podium.

Opinions are fine,, but without any supporting info, they are just hot air.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:07 pm

Please refer to my last post about 6 posts above the one you just posted, if you don't particularly agree with it that's fine, but enough with the hot air fluff.........
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:36 pm

First off there are ordinary whales and their are Moby Dicks Children: Kolat, Spencer Lee, Kyle Snyder, Gable Steveson. Maybe Cael and Yianni. (I was not that familiar with their CS and YD HS records) I expect I am missing someone, Dave Schultz? XXX? There was little competition between distant state before say 1975. so hard to judge then. We had a chance to land Lee when he was going into 9th grade but Alice G could not fin a job for his father who was hired by Carnegie Mellon.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:53 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:36 pm First off there are ordinary whales and their are Moby Dicks Children: Kolat, Spencer Lee, Kyle Snyder, Gable Steveson. Maybe Cael and Yianni. (I was not that familiar with their CS and YD HS records)
Yianni before Cornell:

• One of just seven four-time New York state champions while wrestling at Hilton HS.
• Closed his varsity career on a 210-match win streak, a state record, and a 243-3 career high school mark.
• Helped his team to four team state titles as a five-time captain.
• Was a four-time Democrat and Chronicle All-Greater Rochester Division I Wrestler of the Year
• State winner of the Dave Schultz High School Excellence Award as a senior.
• Ranked among the top three recruits in the nation by every major service.
• Earned a pair of Cadet world championships and twp Asics All-America team slots.
• Joins Gable Steveson as the only Americans to win two cadet (ages 15 to 17) world championships.

(fun fact: Vito Arujau was 216-1 in HS. His only loss was to Yianni)
mookie

Post by mookie » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:11 pm

There are many whales that LU struggled to recruit. The most recent was Nick Feldman who wanted to come to Lehigh.
Last edited by mookie on Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.