What it takes to place Top 15 at NCAAs

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Richb-3

Re: What it takes to place Top 15 at NCAAs

Post by Richb-3 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:23 pm

Honestly, the two Cadet world titles were the the only thing, as I rad you, that moved Yianni from ordinary whale to moby. The folkstyle/HS probably look a little less impressive than Marstellat's 4 time undefeated AAA champ, Got HS guys banned from college tournaments. But he was less of a moby, even less of a whale each year. When he went to OkSU I figured no longer even a NCAA contender, The Cowboys ruined his predecessor as York Co's goat, Joey Wildasin.

Of course Yianni has wrestled like a Moby.

NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:02 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:23 pm Honestly, the two Cadet world titles were the the only thing, as I rad you, that moved Yianni from ordinary whale to moby. The folkstyle/HS probably look a little less impressive than Marstellat's 4 time undefeated AAA champ, Got HS guys banned from college tournaments. But he was less of a moby, even less of a whale each year. When he went to OkSU I figured no longer even a NCAA contender, The Cowboys ruined his predecessor as York Co's goat, Joey Wildasin.

Of course Yianni has wrestled like a Moby.
Perhaps his HS recored would be a bit more impressive to you if you understood that he didn't wrestle his senior year due to double elbow surgery? And his last HS loss was in seventh grade?
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:18 pm

The two time cadet World championship is enough. The HS stuff could be like the eighth best guy in Bradenton Fl history. (OK NY D1 is way better than any Florida Division.)
George Porgie

Post by George Porgie » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:16 am

Quite a few had injuries and illness. I was Austin Mey's faculty advisor his first year, amazing student, We lost Hess due to illness, Milonas same thing. I follow the team pretty closely. We've had some good recruits that for one reason or another stopped or didn't start. I'm not delegating blame, It can just be a little disappointing to look forward to seeing a great recruit compete and have those things happen. We've had some bad luck. I'd rather see healthy students not mangled or sick wrestlers. I can think of a few others but their names elude me. Letters had an injury that didn't really end his season completely but affected his ability to preform in his final season. You don't get a much better recruit than that. It's a pretty tough sport.

FloridaGuy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:02 pm >>>>>>>>Once more into the breech.

mookster, spladle and now porgie with comments on “high level” recruits that didn’t pan out.

Who are these recent high level recruits that didn’t pan out?

The only guy in recent years that remotely fit that description was Ruth, who transferred out for self inflicted personal reasons——— and he was ranked #62 by Flo. I wish him well in his Midwest location.

I’d put him, along with a number of other recent Lehigh recruits,in the “good” category, but no where near a true blue chip in the top 10-20 category.

What is the criteria for a recruit in the 50-75 range panning out———-because the odds are against any of them reaching the NCAA podium.

Opinions are fine,, but without any supporting info, they are just hot air.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:18 am

>>>>>Agree 100% that losing guys like Meys, Hess and Milonis were huge negatives.

But the focus is on recent years and statements that recent recruits haven’t panned out.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:11 pm

Since 1995-96, (Strobel's first year) 27 years, we have had maybe 300 guys practice with the Lehigh team. 120 or so were serious recruits (recruited by other top 50 wrestling programs). I suspect that is about average for top 50 programs . We have had many guys with career ending or career diminishing injuries. From Blue chippers like Milonas, Brandon Griffin, Vollaro, Pirazzolla down to guys like Ian Brown (and a lot of others) We also have had guys with academic problems or HEW. But all the top 50 programs have had guys with diminished or prematurely ended careers due to injury or lost guys because of HEW.

But we lost 2 true blue chippers (Hess, Meys) and one near Blue Chipper Cole Walter due to medical issues. And I could have easily seen Tenge being 80-1(Cael) (at worst 77-4) from Freshman EIWA through the end of his collegiate career, except for his congenital Eye Problem.

3% of 18-23 year old blue chippers lost to medical problems. Hard to believe. How many other schools with such poor luck? Obviously, Cornell lost one to the ultimate illness.

OK, Maybe a couple of us, (Meaningful?) might know an answer. But I just think 3% of healthy males in the healthiest age group is high.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:51 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:11 pm
3% of 18-23 year old blue chippers lost to medical problems. Hard to believe. How many other schools with such poor luck? Obviously, Cornell lost one to the ultimate illness.

OK, Maybe a couple of us, (Meaningful?) might know an answer. But I just think 3% of healthy males in the healthiest age group is high.
I'm not a wrestling historian, so my only exposure is since I started following Cornell during the Dake years. So, off the top of my head...

Fredy Stroker's career was ended by Josh Humphreys.

Colton Yapoujian's career has been severely limited by injuries over the years.

Ben Darmstadt's career was only two years. 2xAA, title contender, 18 pins in a year before he got hurt.

Josh Saunders injured a year ago against Vince Cornella, not enrolled this year.

Greg Diakomihalis out for the year following shoulder surgery.

Brandon Womack suffered a broken collarbone (IIRC) his senior year.

Both Foca and Ramirez suffered concussions last year that reduced their competitiveness for the rest of the year (obviously, both are recovered this year!).

Loew still out this year with a shoulder injury suffered at CKLV.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:47 pm

Nothing Meaningful. Yes Injuries.

But besides the tragedy of Adam Frey, any blue chip losses due to medical, not trauma?
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:00 pm

You must not watch much Gen Hospital, Rich. Medical & trauma are essentially the same family tree.
Unable to wrestle is unable to wrestle, regardless of school
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:25 pm

DRD. WRONG. As an EMT, and anyone involved in Ebmergency medicine, is trained that trauma is from accidents, basically an external force.. Medical is from an in body condition; poisoning is considered medical. Safe to say a mosquito bite or beaver poop.are medical