Hawk Talk #3

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Richb-3

Re: Hawk Talk #3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:28 pm

Interesting about OhSU. The stadiums for everything must be a new idea, dating back to maybe the late oughts. Why? Back when the Eagles preseason training was on Goodman campus, A new QB, fresh from OhSU, I think stated "Training here is great. I think they have more facilities than we (OhSU) do"

Still, as I can think of it LU's only shared facilities are Wrestling/Volleyball in Grace Hall and S+D in Taylor Gym. (and the Men's Women's shared, Tennis, Track etc.

Is the old St Johns Arena (seats well over 10,000 still there. It was quite sufficient for National Duals (2002?)

JoeV

Post by JoeV » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:40 pm

mookie wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:39 pm Tom is a fun guy and good for collegiate wrestling. I've spent time with both Tom and Terry and they're really engaging and personable.

Love these guys, great for wrestling. Lots of good qualities. Looks like they are going to laugh at any moment which I find very likable. Bet they have a keen sense of humor.
JoeV

Post by JoeV » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:42 pm

Oracle wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:39 pm "We don’t need ( and will never achieve) the trustees, admins, etc to announce that wrestling is special and will receive special treatment."

>>>>>>>>> A valid statement except, it's time to stop playing politics and other woke games and just make a statement. Wrestling is our calling card. If we could unite around this, think of what Lehigh Wrestling could be in he decades ahead.
Exactly.

All this worry, tip-toeing, projecting, wondering what others might do/say/think is exhausting.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:49 pm

JoeV wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:42 pm
Oracle wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:39 pm "We don’t need ( and will never achieve) the trustees, admins, etc to announce that wrestling is special and will receive special treatment."

>>>>>>>>> A valid statement except, it's time to stop playing politics and other woke games and just make a statement. Wrestling is our calling card. If we could unite around this, think of what Lehigh Wrestling could be in he decades ahead.
Exactly.

All this worry, tip-toeing, projecting, wondering what others might do/say/think is exhausting.
I’m so triggered.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:28 pm

>>> it's time to stop playing politics and other woke games and just make a statement. Wrestling is our calling card. If we could unite around this, think of what Lehigh Wrestling could be in he decades ahead.

... Who's 'we'? Since 1990, the Trustees have made a bunch of statements, already leading LU to its current status as one of Top 10 best endowed wrestling programs, over $25mil incl ncaa grants and two coaching positions 100% endowed, 1 of the 5-6 most expensive practice facilities & a renovation of the most famous building in the sport.
Having full rides only (if it even passes) would (as Spladle suggests) likely cut bodies in the room by a huge #. The NCAA already has a limit of 3 paid coaches; all others requiring fund-raising -- LVWC 1 of the best 10 at that. The catch-22: they can't stop fund-raising for post-grads.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:00 pm

You ask “Who’s we?” and then not really interested in an answer. Your first retort is quoting “since1990”

You fail to grasp how dated this is. The world changed when NIL became a thing. “We” refers to everyone who supports Lehigh and Lehigh Wrestling. What we have isn’t enough. Period. Full rides, endowed coaching positions — none of it is enough. Pat has done a remarkable job under these conditions. Think of what he would have done if all things were equal.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:03 pm

So what are the time parameters of discussion. 5 years? Well then we can't discuss Hess and Meys? Nor Griffin? Nor Milonas?
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:19 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:03 pm So what are the time parameters of discussion. 5 years? Well then we can't discuss Hess and Meys? Nor Griffin? Nor Milonas?
You are kidding right? Right?? Because I think that’s been covered ad nauseam….

And Oracle 1990 isn’t just out of date as far as NIL goes, it’s 33 years ago, it’s completely out of date by any measure…… hell i was only 1 year out of college in 1990 and i’m 55 years old….
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:13 am

>>>>>>>>The trustees and admins are not going to pick one sport for exalted status. It’s not a political or woke issue——it’s reality.

None of the Power 5 programs that excel in wrestling designate wrestling for special status. They are all put football at the top of any list

Money for an NIL to attract and retain top wrestlers is what “we” need to be a consistent elite program.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:12 am

Oracle wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:00 pm You ask “Who’s we?” and then not really interested in an answer. Your first retort is quoting “since1990”

You fail to grasp how dated this is. The world changed when NIL became a thing. “We” refers to everyone who supports Lehigh and Lehigh Wrestling. What we have isn’t enough. Period. Full rides, endowed coaching positions — none of it is enough. Pat has done a remarkable job under these conditions. Think of what he would have done if all things were equal.
You do realize "since 1990" includes the present and then he mentions our current status.