Hawk Talk #3

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Mountain Hawk

Re: Hawk Talk #3

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:05 am

FloridaGuy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:13 am >>>>>>>>The trustees and admins are not going to pick one sport for exalted status. It’s not a political or woke issue——it’s reality.
I don’t disagree about what admins and trustees will do here but it certainly has a large political element (doesn’t everything?) and there is a component of those politics that favoring anything over anything else (exalted status) just won’t do in the wokey climate on campuses today. I think that’s the “reality” you describe.

whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:05 am

It would only take one rich guy who's interested in wrestling.

DRD, with all your experience and connections, certainly you should be able to find us such a guy. Then you'd actually have something to brag about.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:42 am

I would like to think that we are using our 9.9 scholarships to attract blue chippers with full rides now so that change should not affect us. I know there was a time we did partials but you will not attract a blue chip with a partial & we need 2 blue chips per year=10 scholarships based on 5 year career.

We have plenty of need based aid to fill up the room with quality wrestlers that & we don’t need 40 to put out a team of 10 guys.
legger

Post by legger » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:35 am

**** In todays' Woke Climate on college campuses, we need at least 3 more Directors of Inclusion, Cultural Equity and Micro Aggression. That will do the trick! Obviously I am kidding. Let's take the $ already being spent on those Woke Initiatives and put that $ to finding 2-3 whales per year. Feel free to pile on the Hate at me. Be my guest.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:38 am

legger wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:35 am **** In todays' Woke Climate on college campuses, we need at least 3 more Directors of Inclusion, Cultural Equity and Micro Aggression. That will do the trick! Obviously I am kidding. Let's take the $ already being spent on those Woke Initiatives and put that $ to finding 2-3 whales per year. Feel free to pile on the Hate at me. Be my guest.
nothin' but love for ya brother!
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:31 am

A board member who has a lot of stuff on campus named after him calls DRD before and after most any imoortant dual.

Because we are woke enough to give minority scholarships outside of athletic, academic, and
need we got 3 kids in two years from one school. 2 AAed.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:21 pm

>>>>>>>>In answer to Mountain Hawk:

The reality I describe is that wrestling is a minor sport and even before the woke culture gained traction Lehigh would not single out one sport———-and if they did, it would be football.

None of the regular top programs have never had wrestling on special status.

We’ve raised money for everything from scholarships to endowed coaches to renovating Grace Hall and practice area to LVWC.

NIL is now reality and Lehigh wrestling fans/alums/friends can raise NIL funds while the Power 5 school alums focus on football and basketball
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:55 pm

>>>You ask “Who’s we?” and then not really interested in an answer. Your first retort is quoting “since1990”
>>>You fail to grasp how dated this is. The world changed when NIL became a thing. “We” refers to everyone who supports Lehigh and Lehigh Wrestling. What we have isn’t enough. Period. Full rides, endowed coaching positions — none of it is enough. Pat has done a remarkable job under these conditions. Think of what he would have done if all things were equal.

... You fail to grasp how far from the trustees you are. Yesterday i emailed 5 key trustees after receiving a 2nd ph call from former Trustee Chair, Ron Ulrich, struggling after his 2nd operation for a malignant brain surgery since late Nov (after an early Fall . Had difficulty speaking but Mike Caruso joked that we spent 10 of 15 min talking wrestling. Ron got excited about Beard (had no idea he beat Dean, Hump, Connor & Crookham; wouldn't let me hang w|out mentioning Nathan's wins.
As 1 of the top 3 living donors to Lehigh; also Top to Athletics w/John Harmon, Ron helped finesse LVWC's $2mil in pledges last Summer. This is the Ultimate Pit Bull, with all due respect to buddy, luengineer. Please pray for him
p.s pls stop ignoring that i know what's happened since yesterday on back - all the way back
EVERYthing matters - and major things have happened 1 day, 1 mo, 1, 2, 3, 4 yrs ago; I'm not authorized to share all of it
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:09 pm

FloridaGuy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:21 pm >>>>>>>>In answer to Mountain Hawk:

The reality I describe is that wrestling is a minor sport and even before the woke culture gained traction Lehigh would not single out one sport———-and if they did, it would be football.

None of the regular top programs have never had wrestling on special status.

We’ve raised money for everything from scholarships to endowed coaches to renovating Grace Hall and practice area to LVWC.

NIL is now reality and Lehigh wrestling fans/alums/friends can raise NIL funds while the Power 5 school alums focus on football and basketball
I think the general discussion here was about us actually giving wrestling special status above all other sports because of the long tradition as being the top sport on campus in D1. Obvious we will need to participate in NIL and all the rest to compete, but additional “exalted status” within the university will also likely be required. Alas, that part ain’t gonna happen.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:12 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:31 am A board member who has a lot of stuff on campus named after him calls DRD before and after most any imoortant dual.

Because we are woke enough to give minority scholarships outside of athletic, academic, and
need we got 3 kids in two years from one school. 2 AAed.
We are also woke enough to completely stuff the university with bloated levels of ridiculous admin and change the academics requirements around enough to force students to fill early requirements on completely useless topics taught by radical ideologies. I know. My child had to take them.