Navy Dual

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Re: Navy Dual

Post by Oracle » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:19 pm

Yes they are. And it has become a 'thing.'

We (at least I do) always wonder why kids go to a place where there is no waye to find the line-up. I guess they think otherwise. Well, those guys have to go somewhere -- unless they are at an Ivy, then they stay put for obvious reasons. Years ago, we got Diekel from Oklahoma U when he couldn't beat out Chaid. I'm sure Thad recruited him the first time around. Same with Beard -- Pat recruited him at MP. These kids remember who they liked and who they didn't.

BTW, Diekel finally beat Chaid in a dual meet but never made the finals as Chaid did twice - winning once.

gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:26 pm

Oracle wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:19 pm Yes they are. And it has become a 'thing.'

We (at least I do) always wonder why kids go to a place where there is no waye to find the line-up. I guess they think otherwise. Well, those guys have to go somewhere -- unless they are at an Ivy, then they stay put for obvious reasons. Years ago, we got Diekel from Oklahoma U when he couldn't beat out Chaid. I'm sure Thad recruited him the first time around. Same with Beard -- Pat recruited him at MP. These kids remember who they liked and who they didn't.

BTW, Diekel finally beat Chaid in a dual meet but never made the finals as Chaid did twice - winning once.
Before DRD jumps in and everyone crucifies him for it- When he called Turner (first Turner hung up because it wasn't legal to talk until OK said OK) he told him it was because they wouldn't let him go to classes.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:57 pm

I suspect the majority of transfers we have had in all sport were recruited by Lehigh in HS. Minarovich, Cooperman. Not Tate. Billy Stuart?. A couple of Army and Navy guys, Hutch, Lance L..
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:55 pm

FloridaGuy wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:03 pm >>>>>>A classic hot air criticism.

Irrational to complain about “ recruiting” while complimenting incoming transfers.

Transfers are recruits.
It is only a criticism if you want it to be, it was an observation and a correct one at that, a hot air criticism ? Please….. one who wants/needs/desires to get all defender of the program immediately labels it as slander….and yes “recruits” and “transfers” are both forms of recruiting, but to pretend there isnt a difference is idiotic…. One comes straight from high school or prep school and his development is all in your program, the other not so much…..

People on here just burn to find any slight, observations or statements of fact are just that….. it takes a certain kind of person to deem them a slight, one who wants to find a slight in everything….
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:06 pm

>>>>>>>>Eh, spladle ——- you just stated that transfers are recruits. So, flat out incorrect to ignore top flight transfers while criticizing recruiting.

Speaking of top transfers: I would think Rohn ( of NCAA dramatic victory fame and most memorable college match I witnessed) was originally recruited by Lehigh, but doubtful on Hyman and Martinez.

Totally different game now——— transfer portal open to all coaches.

And, if I understand the process correctly, an athlete can enter the portal, check out responses, and decide to stay at their school ( of course could jeopardize scholarship and relationship with coaches and team mates)

Lehigh’s technical entrepreneur grad program is a classic fit for transfers with a degree in hand.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:54 pm

Also we recruited Marshall Peppelman, and his brothers. (maybe not so much the "Smart one", Colton.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:28 am

FloridaGuy wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:06 pm >>>>>>>>Eh, spladle ——- you just stated that transfers are recruits. So, flat out incorrect to ignore top flight transfers while criticizing recruiting.

Lol, you really just want it to be criticism, there was none…… the fact that was stated was that transfers have been better than recruits….. how is that a criticism?

I like apples better than oranges, they are both fruits….. not putting down oranges just think apples are better….

But if it helps you sleep better at nite going the Denny savior route have at it…..but understand that these kind of “slights” and the over reaction to them are what cause a majority of the “arguements” on this board
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:23 am

Beard transfer & Crookham are hopefully the beginning of other locals deciding to pursue their educational pursuits at Lehigh. There are several local underclassman studs that we could really benefit from to regain our National stature.

Right now we have announced depth signings from Jersey/Pa region around us but no studs yet in the fold. Can’t wait for that kind of announcement to inject some positive energy on this board after lackluster start to the new year.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:40 am

>>>>>>>>>>>”Lackluster”only if you ignore missing two of the teams three best wrestlers plus our starter at 165.

I also question the “depth” comment on this year’s current recruiting. Stanich is the top ranked NJ 132, Kunstek is a jr and currently the top ranked PA AAA at his weight while Ziegler is the top ranked jr at his PA AAA weight.

Plus Schoppe ( NJ 2nd last yr) is a two sport athlete ( 1,200 yr running back for high quality Delsea football) who reminds me of some Lehigh’s past upperweights who played multiple hs sports.

Simply way too early to discount any recruits, let alone multiple state placewinners in NJ or PA AAA.

Beard is the best recruit Lehigh has landed in recent years and Tate was also an excellent recruit.

Crookham and Rogers have all the earmarks of elite recruits and we could certainly use Crookham right now as an interim fill-in at 133.

Enjoy the ride——the best part of the season is still ahead of us.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:42 am

Kollin Rath, (soph), of Beca seems a possible "whale". I assume his father (maybe Uncle) was Eric Rath, A significant Lehigh Running Back 2002-2005. Eric went to Pius X, where he also was a 5th place finisher in AA 171. I suspect Eric bled B&W in that he was ineligible academically for LU his Sophomore but returned for his last two years.

The other "whale" with a Lehigh legacy is Rune Lawrence. But could he and his parents be too disappointed, in Thayer's progress.