Transfer to Lehigh

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
FloridaGuy

Re: Transfer to Lehigh

Post by FloridaGuy » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:02 pm

>>>>>>Agree with the portal focus———-more Beards and Samuelsons.

Side question——-are cu greyshirts technically judo transfers?

jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:40 pm

FloridaGuy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:02 pm >>>>>>Agree with the portal focus———-more Beards and Samuelsons.

I'm not sure that they can be both, assuming you're not referring to switching to wrestling from the martial arts.

Dylan Palacio was a juco transfer. He was on the varsity soccer team at Tompkins CCC, so he had to be a full-time student there. Others reportedly take a course or two to get a jump on their Cornell degree; in that case they're greyshirts.

As another side question, would you rather your name be remembered for greyshirting, or for Tommy John surgery? I figure either is preferable to Lou Gehrig's Disease.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:09 am

>>>>>>>> The way you asked it - “technically “ - yes, they are. But only if enrolled in Tompkins Co CC. Some, I believe, delay enrollment and do not go to TCCC. Could be wrong about that. They simply work out at Spartan. It’s one of the Koll Secrets we may never fully get the skinny on.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter. Cornell has established themselves as one of the most successful teams in the country.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:00 am

Cornell surpassing Lehigh as the preeminent EIWA Top 10 program must be reversed or at least attain the same designation.

Clearly it starts with recruiting & recruiting is enhanced by a strong LVWC that works with local high schools & junior high kids in addition to the LU Wrestlers. Pat Santoro & Kerry McCoy are 2 of the best coaches & most respected gentlemen in this sport to make this happen.

Virtually every Lehigh Valley & area parents should want their kids to stay here under this tutelage. That has to be the primary focus combined with a competitive compensation package available to Pat as permitted by the NCAA.

We must not accept 2nd tier status to Cornell!!
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:05 am

LUEngineer wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:00 am
Virtually every Lehigh Valley & area parents should want their kids to stay here under this tutelage. That has to be the primary focus combined with a competitive compensation package available to Pat as permitted by the NCAA.
Right there is the bottom line, everything else as good as it is doesn't matter until this happens....until then we are what we are....
mookie

Post by mookie » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:18 am

So, lay out the comp plan you feel is needed.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:33 am

No idea, not my specialty, but there should be (and I assume there is) someone who does specialize in this (and I absolutely don't mean Denny)......not even saying it's possible in current environment, but until we are at a level playing field money wise or at least close to it we are what we are.......and all this talk about everything else is inconsequential.......we have a great coach, have a very nice facility, have a solid wrestling tradition......I have to believe the bottom line is we aren't competitive dollar wise......and just coming on here whining about state schools, Cornell Ag, and so on may help some people vent and feel better about themselves but it's not going to change.......so we find a way or we are what we are......
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:09 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:33 am No idea, not my specialty, but there should be (and I assume there is) someone who does specialize in this (and I absolutely don't mean Denny)......not even saying it's possible in current environment, but until we are at a level playing field money wise or at least close to it we are what we are.......and all this talk about everything else is inconsequential.......we have a great coach, have a very nice facility, have a solid wrestling tradition......I have to believe the bottom line is we aren't competitive dollar wise......and just coming on here whining about state schools, Cornell Ag, and so on may help some people vent and feel better about themselves but it's not going to change.......so we find a way or we are what we are......

>>>>>>>> Very well stated.

This has been covered in depth very recently:
#1 -- LU designates Wrestling as their #1 priority sport -- a must or forget the rest. In fact, if this occurs, all the rest will fall into place

#2 -- Recruiting Coordinator/Coach must be someone new.

#3 -- LU Admin allows NCAA max stipends for elite wrestlers, and partial for others as needed and necessary

#4 -- Admit top recruits through the College of Health if that is akin to what Cornell is doing.

#5 -- Prioritize PA D11 recruiting. Signing these elite recruits guarantees better attendance and the use of Stabler for more meets without charge by the University.

The new AD is a critical piece of all this. Trustees that are wrestling friendly need to step in and guide the process. Not sure if any of this is possible and I echo Spladle's comments until and unless it is.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:27 am

Well laid out Oracle. The only part you missed was making sure alums from this board help fund the LVWC to attract top talent for Kerry & workout partners.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:59 am

I’m acquainted with five former trustees who subscribe to LUWN and care immensely about wrestling; but I’ve heard zero interest in matching money stipends of Power 5’s (cash above full ride).
Almost certain never to happen. We recruit local kids hard but if they paid (plus) little will stop the kids with no interest in staying home.

With 3 more points we’d have been 15th; with better luck maybe 10th with 2-3 AAs… it really helps to be both lucky and good. But good’s relative and Power Five money will eventually settle the issue; maybe we’ll get lucky when more Okie State’s slide and learn Fix’s $75k SUV hurt his chances vs helped to win a title
Finishing 0.5 pts ahead of us? Ouch, with 2AAs; Okla in 40th?
My home state of Ouchahoma