Animal Show /NCAA's-session 4...

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
JoeV

Re: Animal Show /NCAA's-session 4...

Post by JoeV » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:21 am

Call on the mat was stall point (at 2 seconds left) and escape (with 1second left).

So when time ran out Humphreys had 4 points.

The refs then went to the review table. After review the ref confirmed the stall point, and overturned the escape point. So they took a point away from Josh and he finished with 3 points.

He clearly escaped. The mat call was correct. The review call was horrendous. Ref was probably influenced by the lunatic UNC coach.

lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:40 am

gimpeltf wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:47 am Not sure what some of you guys are talking about challenging at the end of Humphreys' match. The refs did score the point. I don't know if the other team bricked or if the refs checked it out but they were at the table for a little while.
The way it appeared as I watched on TV was the referees went to the table to self-review (I didn't see a brick tossed by either bench) the final few seconds of the bout. On the broadcast, I could hear one of the refs say that there was a late stall call that resulted in Humphreys getting a point. Coleman Scott was screaming at the ref for making two (justifiable) late stall calls, "What are you doing!!! This is the national semi-final!!!" That resulted in the control of mat penalty.

It appeared to me that the self-review was to determine whether the ESC was completed in time. As I suggested in my earlier post, a referee's self-review is an extension of a call on the mat. Given the presence of an independent review panel/official at the national tournament, Lehigh should have been able to "throw the brick" to challenge the call made by the mat officials. It's entirely possible that the independent review may have ruled differently. The question is why did we (Lehigh) not take the challenge to the highest authority available by rule?
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:53 am

Are you sure they had a challenge available? How many did they get for the tournament? 2?
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:33 am

Lehigh has never been hesitant to throw the brick *never* so why all the questions? Are some of you saying the LU staff is incompetent? Rubbish.

You have to escape and face your opponent for it to count, not just separate. Maybe that was the call.

Anyway, it’s over. Josh has a tough next bout. A O’Connor is one tough dude. He earned the win.
Toast

Post by Toast » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:30 am

I sure am glad Humphries made it to the semis. He's the lone bright spot for either team I root for, really. Penn had a particularly uninspired showing and looked like they couldn't wait for the season to be over.

Cornell remains the top EIWA team and one of the very best programs in the country.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:01 am

@lu_alum did you see the actual clock in the background or were you relying on their embedded clock? I wouldn't trust an embedded clock graphic that's not tied into the software running the clock like Flo has it. I assume the video review clocks used have one or the other. I won't go into the whole thing but when Flo started this software about 9 years ago we all kind of swore not to talk publicly about how accurate video embedded clocks were until the flo video/network guys had it figured out. I wasn't directly watching the clock as I never thought he'd release Josh like that. The stall came first and the escape call was clearly after zero. My gut told me the release itself was late. And BTW, not seeing a brick only means the coaches didn't challenge. I still don't know if the refs did they're item review or if they only asked the table. My guess is they actually reviewed.
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:11 am

Good explanation, Gimp. In retrospect, one item I neglected to include in my recap was that Rey made a very obvious stroll behind the refs while they were at the table. It’s possible he had a good enough view to see that a challenge would have been futile.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:14 am

gimpeltf wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:01 am I still don't know if the refs did they're item review or if they only asked the table. My guess is they actually reviewed.
Screen says "Official Review" while they were watching the replay. Only the two referees looked at the replay. Well, Rey was watching until a third ref shooed him away.
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:32 am

NothingMeaningful wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:14 am
gimpeltf wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:01 am I still don't know if the refs did they're item review or if they only asked the table. My guess is they actually reviewed.
Screen says "Official Review" while they were watching the replay. Only the two referees looked at the replay. Well, Rey was watching until a third ref shooed him away.
Is it actually possible to "shoo away" Rey? Perhaps now that he's in his more svelte state? No way he could have been shooed away when he was competing.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:32 am

NothingMeaningful wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:14 am
Which means no brick possible