Humphreys 5 years vs vs O’Connor 6 yrs

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
FloridaGuy

Humphreys 5 years vs vs O’Connor 6 yrs

Post by FloridaGuy » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:19 am

>>>>>>>> Austin O’Connor wrestled 6 yrs for UNC.

A redshirt yr

Then 5 full seasons (per jda definition—a full season includes the conf tourney) with one year the Covid freebie.

Only four NCAAs due to the one covid NCAA cancellation

In total: six years at UNC, five full seasons and four NCAA opportunities for O’Connor

I’m neither a lawyer nor a NCAA rules expert, but imo, it seems fair for Josh to have the same career length and NCAA opportunities as O’Connor.

mookie

Re: Humphreys 5 years vs vs O’Connor 6 yrs

Post by mookie » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:34 am

It's likely that next season Vito Arujau will take an Olympic year. Assuming he comes back for another collegiate season in 24-25 that would be his eighth year after high school.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:38 am

FloridaGuy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:19 am >>>>>>>> Austin O’Connor wrestled 6 yrs for UNC.

A redshirt yr

Then 5 full seasons (per jda definition—a full season includes the conf tourney) with one year the Covid freebie.

Only four NCAAs due to the one covid NCAA cancellation

In total: six years at UNC, five full seasons and four NCAA opportunities for O’Connor

I’m neither a lawyer nor a NCAA rules expert, but imo, it seems fair for Josh to have the same career length and NCAA opportunities as O’Connor.
Again, I don't know if they (NCAA) changed something but you showed the difference right there. "with one year the Covid freebie". That's how Wood got the 5th year also. For Josh that year was a recovery year. So he could have used this year (or last year) as a second injury redshirt year and then wrestled next year.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:42 am

>>>>>>>I’m not saying the Humphreys—Wood—O’Connor situations are identical.

I’m saying it’s basic fairness—-—- Humphreys should not have one less year of wrestling than those two because he was injured in the Covid year

I’d also bet there are plenty of other guys getting a 5th year of wrestling via Covid machinations.

Hopefully the NCAA will do the right thing and treat Josh fairly.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:53 am

Ah, the proverbial philosophical query..."Is Justice, Fairness?" Strict interpretations of laws, rules and regulations versus what is morally right under the circumstances. In the words of some unknown expert in a courtroom far away and years ago, "It all depends on whose ox is getting gored". (I kid you not!)
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:55 am

FloridaGuy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:42 am >>>>>>>I’m not saying the Humphreys—Wood—O’Connor situations are identical.

I’m saying it’s basic fairness—-—- Humphreys should not have one less year of wrestling than those two because he was injured in the Covid year

I’d also bet there are plenty of other guys getting a 5th year of wrestling via Covid machinations.

Hopefully the NCAA will do the right thing and treat Josh fairly.
Again, no idea what will happen but they did give him an equal chance. They gave Wood one and he competed. Josh didn't. I realize he was actually injured but how many kids would then say- Oh yeah, I was hurt too.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:16 am

The point being missed is that the NCAA created one exception year, and only one, and it's 2020-21. 2019-20 is considered a normal year and there are no exceptions because the NCAA championship tournament was canceled. Nobody is getting that tournament back, and nobody is getting an additional year of competition because they didn't get to wrestle in that tournament.

O'Connor is an interesting example, but more interesting is Myles Amine, who in six years wrestled five seasons and stood on the NCAA podium five times -- he redshirted in 2019-20, so he didn't lose the 2020 NCAA tournament. He already had three medals, then earned two more in 2021 and 2022. 2021 didn't count against his eligibility. That's the key concept -- wrestling in 2021 didn't count against eligibility. Period. Not wrestling in 2021 didn't add to eligibility.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:22 pm

A couple years before their was any qualifying for the NCAA tournament two or three of the Upstate NY teams did not make EIWA because of massive snowstorm. (Army made it). Had it been a couple years later would the NCAA have given those guys another year of eligibility? --- possibly unlikely now with far better weather forecasting.

I can think of 2 times when NCAA made exceptional temporary rules. Covid. And the end of WW2. (Freshman eligibility for a couple of years. Will they do so again? Obviously possible.

One exceptional ruling i can think of. In 1971-72 Bloomsburg suspended their season in November because they went from like 35 healthy wrestlers to under 10. I believe the NCAA granted all the wrestlers an additional year.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:17 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:22 pm A couple years before their was any qualifying for the NCAA tournament two or three of the Upstate NY teams did not make EIWA because of massive snowstorm. (Army made it). Had it been a couple years later would the NCAA have given those guys another year of eligibility? --- possibly unlikely now with far better weather forecasting.

I can think of 2 times when NCAA made exceptional temporary rules. Covid. And the end of WW2. (Freshman eligibility for a couple of years. Will they do so again? Obviously possible.

One exceptional ruling i can think of. In 1971-72 Bloomsburg suspended their season in November because they went from like 35 healthy wrestlers to under 10. I believe the NCAA granted all the wrestlers an additional year.
That was the first year. They missed eiwa and made the regional
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:38 pm

I think Hutch won Easterns because Syracuse no showed, but lost to him at the qualifier at Princeton.

On a side note I just read that Micky Phillippi lost in the blood round time.(the enclosed story might not indicate that

https://www.latrobebulletinnews.com/spo ... gT43Bv6C-0