Giving to Lehigh wrestling

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mookie

Re: Giving to Lehigh wrestling

Post by mookie » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:11 pm

For any of you who are interested in the strategic plan or the other initiatives, I've attached a summary of the initiatives

- I'd like to see the strategic wrestling plan.

whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:26 pm

Several days ago I received a solicitation of donations from LU. I made a donation and designated it for Wrestling. But I would rather have donated pursuant to March Madness, had I known about it. Need coordination.
LU wrestling

Post by LU wrestling » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:13 pm

I shared with Cliff some of the exchanges following my initial post. In response, Cliff indicated that he [and perhaps Pete] would love to speak to anyone about communication, strategy, planning etc. I think he understands where some of the sentiments expressed on the board are coming from and that this effort, among Lehigh wrestling alumni, is to address those concerns. He also indicated that last year, they raised well over 11k and are only looking for $100K more than last year. I'm happy to pass along your contact information but will also provide his.

Cliff Chapman
Syncarpha Capital
250 W. 57th Street, Suite 701
New York, NY 10107
O 212-419-4844
C 703-622-6210
F 646-452-8686
[email protected]

Please feel free to reach out to him.

Best,
Dave
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:28 pm

HFO wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:50 pm If only 2% of former Lehigh wrestlers are donating, that says something about communications and outreach to former alumni. My God is Lehigh on a downward spiral. Clean house. Send current President packing, Provost packing. Most of the Deans packing. Most of the Board of Trustees packing. It is a clusterfuck, pardon my language from WWII and Korea.
The term "clusterfuck" dates from the 1960s.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:35 pm

NothingMeaningful wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:28 pm
HFO wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:50 pm If only 2% of former Lehigh wrestlers are donating, that says something about communications and outreach to former alumni. My God is Lehigh on a downward spiral. Clean house. Send current President packing, Provost packing. Most of the Deans packing. Most of the Board of Trustees packing. It is a clusterfuck, pardon my language from WWII and Korea.
The term "clusterfuck" dates from the 1960s.
So a guy in his 90's got his date wrong. Big deal.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:06 pm

I received a mailing from the Lehigh Wrestling Partnership soliciting money. I am not a former Lehigh wrestler. It has always been my understanding that the various "Partnerships" for each intercollegiate sport at Lehigh were created for those sports Alums to stay in contact ,as well as financially support their sport at the University. I am not shocked by the low percentage of participation by Lehigh wrestling alums. I am also aware that the percentage of giving by football alums is also significantly low. I don't have the numbers from prior years, but it is my recall that many of the "lesser" sports have much higher percentage of participation, i.e. softball, lacrosse, soccer, etc. I find it curious that the two "biggest" sports at Lehigh, in terms of fan interest/attendance have some of the lowest participation rates amongst all sports. Is there a perception that wrestling and football don't have as much need because of all the publicity they get compared to the rest? I would be interested to see what those participation numbers actually are for all sports.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:29 pm

Some of us got Coach Cahill's football donation ask; if I'm not mistaken, he cited a football alum giving rate of 4%.

I don't know what to make of such low giving rates among former athletes in football & wrestling but both are admittedly pathetic. Enough to point fingers high up in the University? Poppy cock, it's the primary job of the former athlete to give to his sport; nobody should even have to ask. But the coach should try (and they both do).

I never played a down of football (nor wrestled for that matter) and I give my hind teat to wrestling and apparently give a lot more to football than most football players. Their issue to solve, not mine.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:01 pm

Could be that the Alums of the 24 "secondary" Lehigh Sports strive to make their donations during the Marchness. I find it a little unlikely that fewer than, maybe, 20 wrestlers donate during the year. One often sees 20+ at Turner Leeman.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:07 am

Are we THIS destitute, relegated to donations like the local fire companies soliciting along county roads, etc. :lol:

What's next,..protests on the STEPS of Grace Hall to save Lehigh Wrestling! :cry:

Charity begins at HOME, as a retiree on a fixed income! I'll continue to contribute at the door.. :D
Last edited by 1/2NELSON on Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asa Packer

Post by Asa Packer » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:50 pm

What's are current endowment? Never understood why schools (looking at you Harvard) need billion dollar endowments.