LOVE LETTERS IN THE SAND

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
1/2NELSON

LOVE LETTERS IN THE SAND

Post by 1/2NELSON » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:54 pm

What an exciting bout, and LEHIGH wins! :o Troy barely avoids PACK-POINTS to rally and beat Lewis in a wild-one to advance to NCAA Finals where he is beaten by Matt Lackey of Illinois. Letters, and Lewis would spar again in 2004 Finals with Letters winning a more conservative bout 5-2, and an NCAA title. Great combination of strength, balance, and his patented CRAB-RIDE although it didn't serve him well in this bout. :shock:
3 X AA (2,1,3, DNP-INJ)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga82Kh3nkpA

Waiting for another TROY LETTERS to appear in Grace Hall :roll:

mookie

Re: LOVE LETTERS IN THE SAND

Post by mookie » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:17 am

He was incredibly strong. Put himself in horrible positions that he was able to overcome by being a freak.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:53 pm

Strong as an ox, but also quick. Remember the bout in 2005 against Ryan Churella of Michigan in the dual where he had at least 5 takedowns. Beat him 13-5. He was something special.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:12 pm

I think it was 18-5
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:37 pm

>>>>>>>>>Great memory——-back in the day when I had season tickets.

Fans anticipated a tough match and it quickly became one sided.

I believe the Michigan coaching staff was as impressed as the rest of us at Letter’s lighting quick takedowns.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:09 pm

>>>I believe the Michigan coaching staff was as impressed as the rest of us at Letter’s lighting quick takedowns.

... Amen to that, Florida Guy; I've told the story a number of times about Joe McFarland collaring me outside Starter's Restaurant, almost babbling: "Denny, we knew Troy was really good, but nobody's ever done anything like that to Ryan.... ever!" Unsure how to respond, I just said, "Yeah, when he gets on a roll, he can be trouble." A rare experience having to console a rival (bonus pts for correct score: 13-5)

... Closest was a phone call I had with Pat Milkovich 30 yrs after Mike Frick came back to beat him in NCAA finals, 7-4
Pat goes: "I know I was leading him, 3-0, into the 2nd pd .... all of a sudden I lose by 3 ... to this day I have no recollection of how he could do that! I was known for my defense and never before blew a 3-pt lead!!

One of MSU's 2 best-ever - and Ryan Churella was ncaa 2,3,4 ... of course, Dad Mark Churella was 3,1,1,1 for Michigan (150, then 167 sr) and Frickie's last Midlands incl. a 7-1 win vs Dad -- Mike up 2 wts at 150
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:35 pm

>>>>Denny, great recollections,.. and WHAT we all look forward to in-lieu of on-going cock-fights between YOU, and a few of your admirers! :lol:
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:21 pm

Can't help myself, just LOVE the vintage replays in the off-season involving a few of our LEHIGH legends!

Rohn's fantastic NCAA tournament as an eight-seed, w/4-PINS, always reminded me of the Little-Engine-That-Could, the juvenile text that emphasizes what can be accomplished with the right mental attitude, and effort. :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYna2mqtXqU

I imagine Rohn worked out a lot with Trenge who Sanderson beat in the bout immediately after this one. Anyone have privy to a front-row seat in the room when these two strong-men went at it? :o

Also somewhat nostalgic seeing the utter joy in the faces of Coach Strobel, and McCoy,.. who without doubt were most instrumental in the success of these two fine wrestlers.
legger

Post by legger » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:01 am

**** One afternoon in 2001 I went to the room. It was Troy Letters Frosh year. I knew how good he was from following him in PA high school. This day he and Chris Vitali were going at it on the corner of a mat. I walked over there to watch the match. It was a really close match, which Vitali won 3-2. I was somewhat surprised but it was the Senior year for Vitali, which he ended up being an All American. After the match I talked to the coach and he told me "some time you get the bear, and some times the bear gets you". He then said all of their matches are close and Letters was going to red shirt.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:26 am

legger wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:01 am **** One afternoon in 2001 I went to the room. It was Troy Letters Frosh year. I knew how good he was from following him in PA high school. This day he and Chris Vitali were going at it on the corner of a mat. I walked over there to watch the match. It was a really close match, which Vitali won 3-2. I was somewhat surprised but it was the Senior year for Vitali, which he ended up being an All American. After the match I talked to the coach and he told me "some time you get the bear, and some times the bear gets you". He then said all of their matches are close and Letters was going to red shirt.
Their public wrestleoff was equally close and also won by Vitale.
Any stories from 1901?