Transfer Portal

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
whiz wit

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by whiz wit » Sun May 14, 2023 7:14 pm

0-3 so far. (Kunstek, Bryant & Delaney). Waiting for the magic.

HFO

Post by HFO » Sun May 14, 2023 7:38 pm

Not the best of off season weeks. On the positive, there is experience coming back and competition for varsity will be intense. Hopefully that intensity translates into more high quality wins. The 2023 and 2024 are shaping to be Top 10 caliber. The local Nationally packed 2025 class is the one that could put Lehigh on map.

Personally, I think coaching staff needs a major shakeup with an intensity guy as volunteer coach. Preferably a National Champ at 165 or above. The intensity level just doesn't seem to be the same since John Hughes left.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sun May 14, 2023 7:39 pm

Kunstek never enrolled. You can't count as a loss what you never had. Delaney wasn't going to be a starter. Hope he can elsewhere. Bryant, yes, is a loss.

Last year we picked up 2 EIWA finalists and 1 champ... Beard was R12. Pretty decent results wouldn't you agreed?
Should we expect that to happen every year?

I would reserve judgment until it all plays out.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sun May 14, 2023 8:00 pm

HFO wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:38 pm Not the best of off season weeks. On the positive, there is experience coming back and competition for varsity will be intense. Hopefully that intensity translates into more high quality wins. The 2023 and 2024 are shaping to be Top 10 caliber. The local Nationally packed 2025 class is the one that could put Lehigh on map.

Personally, I think coaching staff needs a major shakeup with an intensity guy as volunteer coach. Preferably a National Champ at 165 or above. The intensity level just doesn't seem to be the same since John Hughes left.
[/quote

>>>>>>>> Fair enough general comment --- everyone wants that, not just us.

In my view, there's a difference between being a maniac on the bench and thinking that's the kind of intensity we need or want. John Hughes was never a hot head on the bench, yet you refer to him as a standard. We just don't know how intense our coaches are within the confines of their room. Brad Dillon, to my eye, is a boiling cauldron of intensity -- he does keep a lid on his emotions "The Lehigh Way" -- Zack Rey as well gets pretty amped up, but not to the Terry Brands level where he's a cartoon. Again, that's the way we comport ourselves and 1 reason to be proud of our program. Greg Strobel set the gold standard in this area. RIP I don't think anyone viewed Greg as passive -- he was one intense guy and passionate. Maybe that's the thing more than intensity.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sun May 14, 2023 8:10 pm

Oracle wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:39 pm Kunstek never enrolled. You can't count as a loss what you never had. Delaney wasn't going to be a starter. Hope he can elsewhere. Bryant, yes, is a loss.

Last year we picked up 2 EIWA finalists and 1 champ... Beard was R12. Pretty decent results wouldn't you agreed?
Should we expect that to happen every year?

I would reserve judgment until it all plays out.
"Kunstek never enrolled, etc. " And here I thought high level kids who've committed to the program matter a good deal. "Delaney wasn't going to be a starter." The Oracle speaks. But could have sworn that Oracle is one of those guys who says that you can't make early judgments but have to give kids plenty of time to develop.
Last edited by whiz wit on Sun May 14, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Sun May 14, 2023 8:24 pm

As we are thinking of 2025 and beyond... I'd like to see Lehigh tap into the Faith Christian Academy market. Smart, longsighted recruiting means connecting closely with FCA. It's 25 minutes from Lehigh and its turning out world class talent. Big, big things could happen for the program if Lehigh can work with FCA the way Princeton works with Delbarton/Blair.

Also interesting fact- Mason Ziegler is almost like brothers with Collin Gaj - sophomore state champ and all around monster. I wonder if there are conversations yet.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon May 15, 2023 6:49 am

Wiz has a penchant for making things personal - so be it.

While you posted something that was true, it was certainly a veiled criticism. My response was to see the other side of it.
It has been posted that Delaney was moving on to try to start somewhere else. Kunstek decommiting wasn’t good news, but it’s early enough to work around it.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Mon May 15, 2023 9:40 am

>>>>>>>>>The move toward earlier and earlier recruiting commitments will lead toward more recruits changing their minds.

Kunstek de- committing is a negative, and Mays transferring from Rider is a positive.

It’s college sports version of free-agency——-where Minn recruits and develops a frosh AA who then jumps to psu.

I was encouraged by DRD’s mention of a quiet NIL movement for some Lehigh wrestlers/recruits.

The old football adage that it’s not the X’s and O’s, it’s the Jimmy and Joes applies to all sports.

Utilizing NIL to attract elite young men has a huge short term and long term payoff for the team and the university.

The long term positives for Lehigh of a Caruso, Lieberman, etc are enormous

NIL is a means for investing in Lehigh——glad to see some alums/friends are now in the mix.
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue May 16, 2023 11:21 am

Oracle wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:00 pm
HFO wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:38 pm Not the best of off season weeks. On the positive, there is experience coming back and competition for varsity will be intense. Hopefully that intensity translates into more high quality wins. The 2023 and 2024 are shaping to be Top 10 caliber. The local Nationally packed 2025 class is the one that could put Lehigh on map.

[/quote

>>>>>>>> Fair enough general comment --- everyone wants that, not just us.

In my view, there's a difference between being a maniac on the bench and thinking that's the kind of intensity we need or want. John Hughes was never a hot head on the bench, yet you refer to him as a standard. We just don't know how intense our coaches are within the confines of their room. Brad Dillon, to my eye, is a boiling cauldron of intensity -- he does keep a lid on his emotions "The Lehigh Way" -- Zack Rey as well gets pretty amped up, but not to the Terry Brands level where he's a cartoon. Again, that's the way we comport ourselves and 1 reason to be proud of our program. Greg Strobel set the gold standard in this area. RIP I don't think anyone viewed Greg as passive -- he was one intense guy and passionate. Maybe that's the thing more than intensity.
You misconstrued my thought to a framework of your own thinking. Intensity in training and transferring that to match day performance. Has nothing to do about being rah rah on the bench.

Hughes both in his own wrestling and in his training at Lehigh had a way of taking an athlete to peak intensity in training regimen and on match day. It was as if he was unleashing their ability.

I just haven't seen that since he left. Whether top tier wrestlers or backups coming off the bench from 1st period on wrestling to immediately score points and expect to be in the match.

Now the style is overly conservative with keeping it close and not lose a match.

In Hughes era, starters and backups in midweights were exciting even when a backup got called up.

So yes...a shakeup is needed of an Assistant Coach that can train and elevate wrestlers to that level of intensity.

John Hughes even going back to high school had that internal intensity but fairly reserved otherwise until it was unleashed 8n practice and in matches.
mookie

Post by mookie » Wed May 17, 2023 8:03 am

Lehigh practices without Hughes are Camp Cupcake.