LEHIGH WRESTLING NEWS / DENNY

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Asa Packer

Re: LEHIGH WRESTLING NEWS / DENNY

Post by Asa Packer » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:39 am

"Each have left a unique mark in the literary world of wrestling. My new favorites are Mookie, Mountain Hawk and the seldom but worthwhile humor of Ass Packer. I won't be around to see their future years of contribution, but I know it will be funny."

Dang, I hope there's a typo in the second sentence. :oops:

ngineer

Post by ngineer » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:53 pm

Stunned, but not surprised at the news. Such a day is on the horizon for us all when we have to relinquish the reins to health and time. Denny and I go back over 50 years when he camped out in my 'luxurious' digs at the University of Detroit while I was in law school, for the purpose of trying to recruit Mark Churella to Lehigh, ( at least we were in the final four), saving the University money from having pay two nights for a hotel. From the "Mat Wrap" to the current day, Denny's pursuit of keeping Lehigh fans informed, as well as being one of the program's biggest cheerleaders has been worthy of honor. I strongly hope his latest health challenge will be met and overcome with the fortitude he has displayed over the years.
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:52 pm

I add my sincere wishes for Denny to recover from whatever ails him, and get back to his old tricks. If I'm not mistaken, the University of Detroit Law School was where Brian Brockway (may he rest in peace) had been dean, before becoming Dean of the business school at Lehigh. Dean Brockway was a extraordinary teacher. I had him for business law, and it inspired me to go to law school.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:47 pm

" I chatted with Stovie and he always told me he had great respect for Lehigh success in wrestling, especially wrestlers, but not always the unbearable Lehigh fans."

>>>>>>> Had many long conversations with AB and even had dinner with him at The Tally Ho when Lock Haven came to Grace Hall 20 some odd years ago. He was enamored with the photos in the Ho's side room that were overwhelmingly wrestling-related. We walked up to Grace Hall together with my son. A really good guy in may ways. Wayne Hicks likes to tell the story about how Allen would always carry extra winter gloves with him and pass them out to anyone who needed a pair when it was bitter cold.

It was unfortunate he and Denny were at odds because they both loved what they did. And yes, you can like them both without taking sides. I miss Allen -- he recruited me to do NCAA D1 rankings for WR.com which I did for about 4=5 seasons. Bruce got me a media pass to rep WR.com at NCAAs -- that got me in free and they even fed the press!! The tunnel access was tremendous. In 2002, my seat on press row was smack dab on the 50 yard line for the Rohn/Lambrecht match. Your nor supposed to 'root' but I was screaming for the ref to call the fall anyway. No one said anything.

Slow season -- hope no one minds a little story-telling.
lu90

Post by lu90 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:05 pm

Lehigh74 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:52 pm I add my sincere wishes for Denny to recover from whatever ails him, and get back to his old tricks. If I'm not mistaken, the University of Detroit Law School was where Brian Brockway (may he rest in peace) had been dean, before becoming Dean of the business school at Lehigh. Dean Brockway was a extraordinary teacher. I had him for business law, and it inspired me to go to law school.
He was one of my favorite professors at Lehigh. I have told stories to my son, who has his sights set on law school, about him and the captivating way he taught class. It was almost hard not to pay attention.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:06 pm

Dad wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:25 am Prayers for Denny. He is one of the strongest supporters of Lehigh wrestling I have ever met. Only wants the best for all that touch the program. We should all say a prayer for him.
+1
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:45 pm

Asa Packer wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:39 am "Each have left a unique mark in the literary world of wrestling. My new favorites are Mookie, Mountain Hawk and the seldom but worthwhile humor of Ass Packer. I won't be around to see their future years of contribution, but I know it will be funny."

Furry?
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:01 pm

gimpeltf wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:45 pm [quote="Asa Packer" post_id=54980 time=<a href="tel:1685633996">1685633996</a> user_id=430]
"Each have left a unique mark in the literary world of wrestling. My new favorites are Mookie, Mountain Hawk and the seldom but worthwhile humor of Ass Packer. I won't be around to see their future years of contribution, but I know it will be funny."

Furry?
[/quote]
Second sentence gimp. Clearly Mountain Hawk was intended to appear first, then mookie, then Ass Packer.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:38 am

Very sad day indeed for Lehigh wrestling as Denny truly was the fan face of The program. He walked the right line of supporting the coaches & their privacy while putting a positive spin on what all of us knew were program shortcomings.

i consider Denny a great friend & hope we can be so for many more years beyond missing his great publications. Get well Denny!!