Crookham over McGonagle 6-3

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Toast

Crookham over McGonagle 6-3

Post by Toast » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:50 am

He’s your starter at 133 this year. Clearly better.

Oracle

Re: Crookham over McGonagle 6-3

Post by Oracle » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:55 pm

Maybe clearly better from neutral --- McG is a stud.

LU fans lament have 2 guys like this at the same weight. When the #6 ranked guy gets beaten out for the starting line-up, that's a good "problem" for Lehigh to have.

I am not in favor of moving McG and Hines up. I think McG and Hines rank for 141. Guys get injured, stay ready.
HFO

Post by HFO » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:02 pm

Oracle wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:55 pm Maybe clearly better from neutral --- McG is a stud.

LU fans lament have 2 guys like this at the same weight. When the #6 ranked guy gets beaten out for the starting line-up, that's a good "problem" for Lehigh to have.

I am not in favor of moving McG and Hines up. I think McG and Hines rank for 141. Guys get injured, stay ready.
I'm with you Oracle. Until after exams and into holiday break, keep McG at 133 as insurance. Then going into holiday tournaments have McG and Hines battle it out for 141. Then loser to battle it out for Reinsell/Munch for 149. Let the competitive process shake out.

Leaves only 174/184 not fully decided yet.

From weekend, only concern now is the margin of victory of our 2nd place finishes. WE GOT HAMMERED!
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:25 pm

Thought Brignola at 157 wrestled a good match against #1 Haines, scoring gap looked larger than it was when Brignola got caught looking at clock or something at the very end.....

Griffin was out classed at 149 by #2 Van Ness, not a surprise.....still think from what I've seen he's our best 149

The Hines match did surprise me, didn't expect him to beat #2 141 Bartlett but expected a way better showing.....

Logan looked the best I've seen him look in awhile, 8-5 loss to #7 Ramirez in final wasn't embarrassing by any means

Beard still a mystery at 197 but he's a top 10 guy so hard to argue, just the way he loses big matches

184......Davis and Rogers need to show me more offense.....seems like a tossup there until one of them gets better from neutral against solid competition

174......Not looking promising at the moment
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:22 pm

You're always an INJURY away from being the starter but what are McGonagle's available options, and which are we most likely to see?

A)...Stay the course; go with the flow? :roll:
B)...Challenge at 141? :?
C)...Enter the Transfer-Portal as a 2nd semester student? ;) (or has he "burned" that bridge?)
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:37 pm

1/2NELSON wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:22 pm C)...Enter the Transfer-Portal as a 2nd semester student? ;) (or has he "burned" that bridge?)
I really feel for our man McGonagle. Starting at #6 should have been his moment in the spotlight. The only consolation is that he has had more seasons to work with than most wrestlers.

If he were to bow out and take a final graduate year elsewhere I wouldn't fault him, and I'd root for his success. At the same time from the team's perspective the right answer is probably to keep him active in open tournaments as a backup in case Crookham's past injuries flare up again (or to step in for Hines).

No doubt this is a tough pill to swallow for #6, though - similar situation in some ways to what Beard was asked at PSU prior to his transfer. (Big difference is the injury factor and that this is the final year.)