POISON IVY/realignment of the EIWA

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
1/2NELSON

POISON IVY/realignment of the EIWA

Post by 1/2NELSON » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:18 pm

Seems fashionable of late, TEAM realignments, as a compliment to the INDIVIDUAL "free-agency" market.
Saw mention of IVY League leaving the EIWA, to which I ask,.."Is this imminent, and a done deal?" :shock:

Is this motivated by an ELITIST attitude, or the fact that the EIWA has OPEN borders, and has become just too big, accommodating the homeless, etc. The "stream-lining" of this ancient conference definitely weakens it with the loss of a Cornell, and to a lesser degree Penn, and Princeton. Could always accommodate any of the afore-mentioned on some OPEN date I would assume.:roll:

INTERMAT has a somewhat provocative take on all this...

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles.ht ... ke-r98527/
Last edited by 1/2NELSON on Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LUEngineer

Re: POISON IVY/realignment of the EIWA

Post by LUEngineer » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:47 pm

Interesting article. If the PL 5 cannot join the ACC then I propose to add Rider & stay at 12 school league.

The Top 4 seeds at each weight would get a bye in the preliminaries &!inly have to wrestle 3 matches as the reward & less consolations.

We used to wrestle Rider quite a bit & they are a private school consistent with the league except Binghamton.
legger

Post by legger » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:51 pm

**** I would like to see Lehigh go with The Ivys in wrestling, (Cornell, Lehigh, Princeton and Penn) make a nice nucleus, although it will not happen.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:53 pm

LUEngineer wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:47 pm
We used to wrestle Rider quite a bit & they are a private school consistent with the league except Binghamton.
maybe getting closer to the league without the Ivies in it. Not in present form. Not that any of that really matters since college sports in general seem hell bent on blowing up tradition in favor of dollaz. If the Ivies are gone, study how we can align with a conference that maximizes our qualifiers. Don't care who is in it or what their SAT scores are. Those have become a joke as well.
legger

Post by legger » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:23 pm

Mountain Hawk wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:53 pm
LUEngineer wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:47 pm
maybe getting closer to the league without the Ivies in it. Not in present form. Not that any of that really matters since college sports in general seem hell bent on blowing up tradition in favor of dollaz. If the Ivies are gone, study how we can align with a conference that maximizes our qualifiers. Don't care who is in it or what their SAT scores are. Those have become a joke as well.
**** Agree, gone are the days when we can say we are Top 30 Nationally or Top 5 Engineering are gone. Now we are lucky we are Top 50 and Engineering who knows. I used to recruit at Lehigh, Lafayette, Cornell, Penn, Drexel and PSU for Engineering candidates. Lehigh was clearly above in that the candidates were looking for increased responsibility from the day they walked in and did not need hand holding. Now I would wonder.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:41 pm

All the talk about academics is a waste of time. Lehigh is not an Ivy or Academy. Who cares? We’re talking about D1 athletics where even the so-called academically qualified ACC promotes their athletic depts, gives max NCAA stipends, admission exceptions etc.

Lehigh fans should get off their high horse and support a plan that makes us competitive. My solution is to designate wrestling as the Capo di tutti capi. It’s the only solution that makes any sense if we want to crack the top 15 ever again.
IMO.

Then you can start a discussion on fund raising and NIL.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:54 pm

>>>>>>>> I was glad to read about Crookham’s NIL deal with Hotel Bethlehem.

No reason the NIL activity can’t be increased now——— why wait for the admins to do something?
HFO

Post by HFO » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:39 pm

Do not want to see Ivy leave EIWA. Not much to be gained in qualifiers or moving up the rankings within a new qualifier.

I personally believe SUNY Binghamton and SUNY Buffalo should both be in MAC going head to head with each other and other state schools. The MAC finalist are no joke.

I would like Rider to come back to EIWA. EIWA becomes an all private university league from DC to Boston. It maintains truly being Eastern and the traditional rivalries that go back decades and in some cases 100 years.

It would be conference qualifier. Teams free to schedule or not schedule other EIWA opponents for duals.
The elites will have more Top 20 teams and those not as good will likely compete against each other within the league.

EIWA should stay at current size of 17, have a wrestle in for the 16th spot at each weight. 4 wins to be Champion, and the path through consolations, not the way you want to make it to NCAA, but it will be lone with 6-7 bouts in 2 days. I also would like EIWA to be a Fri-Sat Tournament.

For those who still drive that Sunday drive was a killer home and back to work on Monday. I think most people would rather schedule a 3 day weekend. Get in late Thursday night and be out the door either Saturday evening or Sunday morning after checkout.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:14 pm

Oregon SU and WashSU were left out of all the now P$ football conference. They have a reasonable temporary solution with the With the WAC, But they want to reform a PAC## all sport conference.

Likely no wrestling in that conference.

So.

Oregon State to the EIWA. In the Spirit of Dale Thomas, the Beavers could just come and wrestle all 11 teams in one long week.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:05 pm

FloridaGuy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:54 pm >>>>>>>> I was glad to read about Crookham’s NIL deal with Hotel Bethlehem.

No reason the NIL activity can’t be increased now——— why wait for the admins to do something?
Feel free to create one. All it takes is money.