It's All Practice

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
whiz wit

Re: It's All Practice

Post by whiz wit » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:45 pm

"All for the Nationals" is a dumb comment IMO. LU is not a team that's going to be in the top tier at the Nationals. And it lessens the importance of the dual meet season and EIWA's which are the core of the wrestling season and the better yardstick as to the season's performance of individuals and the team as opposed to a single weekend tournament at the end.

George Porgie

Post by George Porgie » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:23 pm

whiz wit wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:45 pm "All for the Nationals" is a dumb comment IMO. LU is not a team that's going to be in the top tier at the Nationals. And it lessens the importance of the dual meet season and EIWA's which are the core of the wrestling season and the better yardstick as to the season's performance of individuals and the team as opposed to a single weekend tournament at the end.
I like both and I've been to Nationals a few times when Lehigh was in the conversation but I really enjoy the dual season. It doesn't get much more exciting than the Cornell match. And if you like crowds the dual meet season is when the most people witness the team first hand so while I would never dismiss the importance of Nationals it is foolish to dismiss the importance of the dual meet season. It involves substitution, weight management, bonus points etc. All of the elements but with a different type of strategic thinking. Having kids become AA's is good for recruiting but duals are important for the local Lehigh Valley community. They are both very important but It's not just ALL about March. Having said that, a big congratulations and appreciation to the coach Santoro and the staff. And of course the team.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:38 pm

Agree with these sentiments

Also upsetting Cornell in the last EIWA regular season dual between the two is something that can never be taken away, they may (emphasize may) get us in EIWA’s but in the final conference head to head/mano a mano matchup we got em……
Asa Packer

Post by Asa Packer » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:05 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:38 pm Agree with these sentiments

Also upsetting Cornell in the last EIWA regular season dual between the two is something that can never be taken away, they may (emphasize may) get us in EIWA’s but in the final conference head to head/mano a mano matchup we got em……
Even if they win EIWAs, I've got Rob Koll on line 1 assuring me it's only a qualifying tournament. 😆
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:12 pm

I look at Nationals as a separate entity to the Dual-Meet season which gets us there.:roll: Beating Cornell will probably be the highlight of the season for me, other than 3-4 All-Americans, and maybe a couple NCAA Champs. Love the dual-meet season, the camaraderie amongst us die-hard fans who I affectionately refer to as the GREY-HAIR :lol:, and the excitement/entertainment generated by these young men whom we applaud winning or losing.

Coverage by FLO on game-day was superb, as was the compliment of individual interviews. Their quality on occasion has been suspect, but they still provide the best BANG 4 BUCK!

This kid was the CHERRY on the sundae on Saturday, and I'd be very disappointing if our Staff was to throw a red-shirt on him. He's earned the right to lead the ENGINEERS onto the mat, provide the spark, and in combination with Crookham, a most formidable 1-2 punch in the front of our line-up. The future is just TOO damn unpredictable to gamble with his tomorrow,..LIVE FOR TODAY! ;)

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/113 ... g=11884512
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:11 am

I w been to literally hundreds of Lehigh duals over the years, and that one has to rank in the Top 3 of all time. Having a hard time remembering one that was more exciting and fun to watch. The team came ready to WRESTLE!!
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:55 am

FloridaGuy wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:02 pm >>>>>

Flo is far from perfect, but their content is irreplaceable——(I have B1G + and ESPN+ in addition to Flo) —- no other service comes close to Flo’s high school, college and international content. In the same weekend I can watch ( or archive) Lehigh’s hs recruits in 3-4 different tournaments, two Lehigh duals plus promotional interviews and videos, and LVWC entrants in a major international tournament in Europe. All for the whopping sum of $12.50/ month.
I admire your patience and low standards for quality streaming and content.....
LU in the Hub

Post by LU in the Hub » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:02 am

JAD77 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:11 am I w been to literally hundreds of Lehigh duals over the years, and that one has to rank in the Top 3 of all time. Having a hard time remembering one that was more exciting and fun to watch. The team came ready to WRESTLE!!
It was a great match to watch even on Flo. Can’t say enough about Stanich. He claimed to have some nerves, but he bounded out onto the mat like he couldn’t wait to get it started. Kudos to all.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:26 am

I think some of you misconstrued mookie's post. He was being sarcastic/sardonic -- as per usual.

Obviously, it's not "all practice" and whoever originally coined that phrase probably regrets saying it. Someone just trying to make a point, albeit flippantly, but it wasn't forgotten by those on the forum.

Absolutely true you build a fan base through dual meets. Also absolutely true you build recruiting through NCAA results. Both are necessary and equally important IMO. Without a successful 'regular season' it's impossible to earn a high NCAA seed and one's path to the podium is infinitely more difficult.

As it stands, Lehigh has 4 guys who will be seeded top 10: Stanich, Crookham, Beard, Taylor. There is room for Hines and possibly Max, but his path is more arduous....would have to run the EIWA table and then take out Teemer to get into top 10.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:35 am

Not just ancient history. Rey said it in his interview after the Cornell match.