Adrenaline

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Adrenaline

Post by Oracle » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:26 am

What a week and what a start to the new year!!!

Will the 2-0 sweep of Binghamton and #9 Cornell catapult Lehigh for the second half of the season? Or will it be a blip? IMO, this is where coaching surfaces. All indications point to a team (and certain individuals) that has zero'd in on their MoJo. Michael Beard is at the forefront of the trend line. Ryan Crookham's performances lead by example. The team has many leaders and the weights that are 'works in progress' cannot help but elevate their games in light of the excellence that surrounds them....and a deep room.

Can anyone remember when Lehigh received such overwhelmingly positive press coverage? Fans of the program are on Cloud 9. This adrenaline rush is being challenged by two worthy opponents this weekend. UPenn matches up well with LU, as does the USNA. Lehigh now has a huge target on their back and will have to work, scrap, and battle to justify their new, lofty rankings of #10 (tournament) and #15 (dual.) Adrenaline carries you for a while, but then mindset has to take over. Do our guys possess the 'right stuff?' That's why we wrestle the bouts.

IMO, this Lehigh team has what it takes.

DF2002

Re: Adrenaline

Post by DF2002 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:00 am

Oracle wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:26 am What a week and what a start to the new year!!!

Will the 2-0 sweep of Binghamton and #9 Cornell catapult Lehigh for the second half of the season? Or will it be a blip? IMO, this is where coaching surfaces. All indications point to a team (and certain individuals) that has zero'd in on their MoJo. Michael Beard is at the forefront of the trend line. Ryan Crookham's performances lead by example. The team has many leaders and the weights that are 'works in progress' cannot help but elevate their games in light of the excellence that surrounds them....and a deep room.

Can anyone remember when Lehigh received such overwhelmingly positive press coverage? Fans of the program are on Cloud 9. This adrenaline rush is being challenged by two worthy opponents this weekend. UPenn matches up well with LU, as does the USNA. Lehigh now has a huge target on their back and will have to work, scrap, and battle to justify their new, lofty rankings of #10 (tournament) and #15 (dual.) Adrenaline carries you for a while, but then mindset has to take over. Do our guys possess the 'right stuff?' That's why we wrestle the bouts.

100% agree…. Based on performance and interviews, this team seems to have a psychology we have lacked in prior years. More resilient and more confident.
LU in the Hub

Post by LU in the Hub » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:25 am

A Lehigh classmate who doesn’t even follow wrestling sent me a link to Crookham-Vito on YouTube and asked me if I’d heard about it. :lol:
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:15 pm

LU in the Hub wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:25 am A Lehigh classmate who doesn’t even follow wrestling sent me a link to Crookham-Vito on YouTube and asked me if I’d heard about it. :lol:
That is awesome news!
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:33 pm

Yes, it seems like one weekend has certainly changed the tenor of conversation on this board. Perhaps the optimists were on to something :-)

As we know though, wrestling is a rough sport and changes come quickly. I'm taking it one match at a time and savoring the optimistic adrenaline.

With that being said, based on the women's basketball game, there apparently is some kind of bug going around a limited student population. I believe classes start up again on Monday. Oddly, at least to me, there didn't appear to be much or even any practicing going on at Goodman last night, even at the Ulrich Fieldhouse.

Probably nothing though.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:45 pm

That's going around everywhere right now.......Penn athletes just as likely to be effected as Lehigh athletes......Navy maybe not as much.....Two of my three children are trauma RN's in pediatric ER's, one at Children's National in DC and one at Nationwide Children's in CBus......both say they don't remember so much sickness of different varieties going around.....they are only in their early to late twenties though, and everything was being labeled as covid the first few years they worked........
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:18 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:45 pm both say they don't remember so much sickness of different varieties going around.....they are only in their early to late twenties though, and everything was being labeled as covid the first few years they worked........
I can confirm... here in quakertown it's been the worst illness season my family and i have been through. seems like every week or two something new. currently laid up getting over some kind of flu. i'd imagine the wrestlers have pretty good immune systems but still it would be a concern for sure.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:28 pm

Doing the simple MATH, ya pretty much have to get a SPLIT, winning at least five bouts in most duals to have a fighters-chance! :roll: With (( 5 )) consistent winners a team can pretty much hang with anybody, with BONUS-POINTS the obvious game-breaker. Few teams have such a STAR studded field other than Penn State, Missouri, and a few others on the fringe. I see Lehigh now with (( 4 )) guys we can pretty much depend upon most of the time, the SPARK-PLUGS up front, and the ANCHORS in the rear of that lineup. Our dilemma as I see it is finding that 5TH bout to keep us in most matches, but unfortunately Hines is not showing that kind of consistency, nor is anyone else thus far. Remains to be seen who will STEP-UP to the plate, and perform admirably on a day-2-day basis. We might not have such a slugger, but it's gonna be fun, and very interesting to see whom that pinch-hitter might be,.. to hit it outta the park! 8-)
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:29 am

Oracle wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:26 am What a week and what a start to the new year!!!

Can anyone remember when Lehigh received such overwhelmingly positive press coverage? Fans of the program are on Cloud 9. This adrenaline Rushdie is being challenged by two worthy opponents this weekend. UPenn matches up well with LU, as does the USNA. Lehigh now has a huge target on their back and will have to work, scrap, and battle to justify their new, lofty rankings of #10 (tournament) and #15 (dual.) Adrenaline carries you for a while, but then mindset has to take over. Do our guys possess the 'right stuff?' That's why we wrestle the bouts.

What press coverage? I haven’t seen A WORD about last weekend’s matches in the Morning Call!. I understand that due to reduced staff reporters they cannot adequately cover all matches in the Valley, BUT, no follow up stories about such a big weekend showing Lehigh’s return to top ten discussion is malpractice. Don’t know who’s calling the sports coverage shots. Almost looks like they are purposely ignoring Lehigh.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:34 am

ngineer: "What press coverage" you ask? Intermat. FLO, especially had massive write-ups, interviews, et al. This is where the majority of wrestling fans look. Locally, Brad Wilson has always done a nice job covering the team.