Role Models

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
JAD77

Role Models

Post by JAD77 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:44 am

Apparently a brawl broke out between parents during a middle school wrestling match between PBurg and High Point. Pat Mineo posted a video of it on Twitter. Not a good look. Both are tough towns where wrestling is akin to religion. There are always a few idiots in every group - but what a lousy example for the kids.

Oracle

Re: Role Models

Post by Oracle » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:52 am

An outlier. Reports of stuff like this happens in all sports. It doesn't reflect on P'Burg or High Point, or wrestling, just on those involved. Move along - nothing to see here.
bkcbrau

Post by bkcbrau » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:30 am

True outlier. I’ve been going to Pburg matches since Coach Turner’s glory years (class of 1970) and I cannot remember this type of occurrence .
HFO

Post by HFO » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:01 pm

In 1980s, a few teams went at it after a match in D11. It happens.
But for security at Hershey, there would be referees with parents going at it.
The disparity of what the rules of wrestling are never more forefront than QF at Hershey.
Nobody can convince me that some referees out there do not have an East-West bias.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:26 pm

On second thought, I probably shouldn't have posted this. Oracle's response was spot on. Didn't mean to denigrate PBurg (they DO take their wrestling seriously there). Lot of great kids from PBurg have wrestled for Lehigh. As I said - there are always a few idiots in every group.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:29 pm

bkcbrau wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:30 am True outlier. I’ve been going to Pburg matches since Coach Turner’s glory years (class of 1970) and I cannot remember this type of occurrence .
Come-on-man,..I've attended some of the same matches in P'burg, and there have been numerous examples of outrageous UNSPORTSMANLIKE-CONDUCT! :o Hell,..Bellville brought their team to town many years ago, and I'm not sure if it was the WRESTLERS or the FANS that precipitated the brawl, with police intervention, etc., to the point were Coach Joe Niscovaccia told the ref, and P'burg's AD, they were going-the-hell home, enough of this BS,..and they left(mid-way thru the meet) :oops:

Also recall P'burg wrestling Long Branch and a pay-per-view WWE presentation! :lol:

Can't rule-out that this particular incident involving High Point didn't involve some MOON-SHINE! :shock:

Wrestling in THE-PIT at P'burg, not to be confused with the original SNAKE-PIT of Lehigh lore, was a visiting team's nightmare from the time they exited the bus. Intimidation of them, and the REF,.. were guaranteed. ;)
bkcbrau

Post by bkcbrau » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:58 pm

I stand by what I said.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:43 pm

bkcbrau wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:58 pm I stand by what I said.
No problem pal,..LOVED the ambiance of THE PIT, which I hear is no longer going to accommodate any wrestling at all after the Watchung match of a week ago. New gym is spectacular as far as I'm concerned with ample room for visitors, beautiful overhead score-board, etc. Only draw-back is the single road exiting from the Palace. :oops: