Arizona State

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Mountain Hawk

Re: Arizona State

Post by Mountain Hawk » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:17 am

Oracle wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:01 am Good one. Campbell has the best nickname of any D1 team the Camels. Just out-scoring SD State Jackrabbits.

How a school in rural North Carolina came up with Camels is a story for another day.
plus, this is completely ridiculous:

Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:52 am

Seems to me dropping the BP is a natural way to come up with a name. Like the brown Bears.

I guess SDSU Jack Rabbits make more sense than the more natural Prairie Dogs.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:04 am

I always thought that Kent State had the worst team nickname: the Golden Flashes. Sounds like something your grandmother goes through.

Delaware's teams are the Fightin' Blue Hens, which seems an odd name for men's teams. At least they don't call the women's teams the Lady Hens, which seems redundant.

My favorite team name anywhere is for Stuyvesant High School in NYC. Peter Stuyvesant was the last Dutch governor of New Netherland/New Amsterdam. He's the guy who surrendered the colony to the English in 1664; he lost a leg in an earlier war with the Brits. Stuyvesant HS's teams are the Peglegs.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:53 pm

An awful nickname close to home is "The Diplomats" of F & M. There isn't much that's diplomatic about D1 wrestling. And it gets even worse when it's shortened, as it often is, to "The Dips".
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:37 pm

Their use to be a late 80s early 90s show on ESPN, Scholastic Sports America. It actually gave decent wrestling coverage. in 1991 they covered the Hughes Brothers and Kolat at PIAA, tournament.

But they also had a feature on team nicknames, HOF. In my Conference they included the Boiling Springs Bubblers and the Biglerville (Laike Gardner) Canners. But they also showed the PBurg-Easton Football Game. That was the year they they thought they could get the Lehigh Lafayette Game moved to Thanksgiving morning. Both schools nicknames were included, Stateliners and Red Rovers. Also they interviewed both Bobby Weaver and Jack Cuvo that day.