F&M Scramble, Feb 24th

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
martinsilvestri

Re: F&M Scramble, Feb 24th

Post by martinsilvestri » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:19 am

The Kid wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:02 am Is there any word on Crookham’s injury … whether he’s expected to be 100% for EIWAs or limping along?
We've got a better shot getting struck by lightning

whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:44 am

The Kid wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:02 am Is there any word on Crookham’s injury … whether he’s expected to be 100% for EIWAs or limping along?
In the last EIWA Newsletter we were told to "expect him back before EIWA's". Not "by EIWA's". That suggests to me that he was expected to be back for the ASU dual. Obviously, expectations aren't always fulfilled ... especially when it comes to wrestling injuries.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:11 am

JAD77 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:18 am BUT - to Rich’s original question, it appears as if you actually have to actually wrestle 2 bouts in the qualifying tournament, the EIWA’s, in order to even be eligible for an at-large/wildcard bid. Basically, you can’t skip the qualifying tournament, or show up and default twice and expect to get a bid, regardless of what your ranking might be.
In this case appearances are not deceiving. That's all correct.
Lehigh2007

Post by Lehigh2007 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:24 am

Lehigh Valley Live Article:

But what reporters wanted to talk about was who hadn’t wrestled – No. 1-ranked Ryan Crookham (133) and No. 2-ranked Luke Stanich (125).

“You can ask me about Ryan,” said Santoro with an impish grin. “Doesn’t mean I have to say anything about him.”

Well, fine, if you’re going to be that way, coach …

“It’s week to week,” Santoro said. “It’s about what’s best for Ryan.”

Word is in the Lehigh camp that Crookham has a nagging kind of injury, one that is taking longer to heal than expected, but is not, at its root, serious.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:36 am

IMO, nothing whatsoever wrong with Pat's reply. LSU women's b'ball coach invokes the exact same words....even more stridently: "you are not entitled to know."

They have confirmed it's an injury. "Doing what's best for Ryan" is the coach's job -- at least if I were Ryan's parents I would hope so.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:37 am

Crookham has a nagging type of injury? He's not married, is he?
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:42 am

whiz wit wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:37 am Crookham has a nagging type of injury? He's not married, is he?
:lol: I do think Santoro's response to this is fine. Not any different from how other coaches respond to this kind of thing. If anything saying "it's week to week" is pretty forthcoming. Brands recently responded to questions about Gabe Arnold by repeating "we love Gabe Arnold" over and over again, lol. Thanks for sharing that article 2007.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:28 pm

Oracle wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:36 am IMO, nothing whatsoever wrong with Pat's reply. LSU women's b'ball coach invokes the exact same words....even more stridently: "you are not entitled to know."

They have confirmed it's an injury. "Doing what's best for Ryan" is the coach's job -- at least if I were Ryan's parents I would hope so.
Absolutely!!

My memory may be a bit fuzzy on this but I remember Jon Trenge's eye situation became pretty well known and then everyone seemed to go after his eyes.

Ryan is a great wrestler but he lost his entire junior year in HS, predominately to injury. He lost the vast part of his senior year to injury. He only wrestled 9 bouts in his RS freshman year and only 1 of them was after Midlands where he withdrew due to MF.

Everyone, please do the board a favor and just trust that Pat is doing the right thing by his wrestlers.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:41 pm

>>>>>>>> Of course Santoro and staff are doing all the right things for the wrestlers. And most fans, while frustrated because they want to see Ryan in action, understand and appreciate the coaching staff and medical folks putting Ryan’s interests first and foremost.

Same goes for the process for Stanich and all the wrestlers.

It’s posters like mookster, who use phrases like ‘clown show’ when complaining about the uncertainty of the lightweight lineup, that just try to add fuel to a non existent fire.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:59 pm

Justafan wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:28 pm
Oracle wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:36 am IMO, nothing whatsoever wrong with Pat's reply. LSU women's b'ball coach invokes the exact same words....even more stridently: "you are not entitled to know."

Absolutely!!

My memory may be a bit fuzzy on this but I remember Jon Trenge's eye situation became pretty well known and then everyone seemed to go after his eyes.

Ryan is a great wrestler but he lost his entire junior year in HS, predominately to injury. He lost the vast part of his senior year to injury. He only wrestled 9 bouts in his RS freshman year and only 1 of them was after Midlands where he withdrew due to MF.

Everyone, please do the board a favor and just trust that Pat is doing the right thing by his wrestlers.
I believe Junior year was more about transferring.

It would have been pretty complicated to have hidden the fact that JT had an eye issue given the glasses he wore while wrestling.