John Smith Interview

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mookie

John Smith Interview

Post by mookie » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:59 pm

"Dual meets are how you grow the sport."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6yrwgA ... AWrestling

Oracle

Re: John Smith Interview

Post by Oracle » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:27 pm

Agree.

March is ultimately important -- no question. A coach doesn't want to do anything to prevent peak performance from his wrestlers. But it is not the only thing. Duals *are* crucial to the development of a wrestler, especially a freshman. Fans love duals. Not everyone can attend NCAAs. Who doesn't like big duals???
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:37 pm

mookie wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:59 pm "Dual meets are how you grow the sport."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6yrwgA ... AWrestling
Excellent,..THANKS for posting! Have always liked Smithy's LOW-KEY approach/demeanor, especially in contrast to Brands who wears his INTENSITY on his sleeve! :roll:

Daton Fix will not be SITTING this one out, as the Cowboy A-TEAM prepares to bull ride! 8-)

Also believe Assistant Coach Coleman Scott has been a most welcome presence in that room, and a big asset to John, as this year's team has a little more pep-in-their-step! :shock: Should be a great dual meet..
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:01 pm

Nice interview with Coach Turner on the Lehigh site, and he refers to the importance of a tough dual meet schedule.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:12 pm

Gotta love John Smith. He likes Lehigh & Hope we keep the home & home going.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:47 am

JAD77 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:01 pm Nice interview with Coach Turner on the Lehigh site, and he refers to the importance of a tough dual meet schedule.
WTH,..his kid beat me in District finals when he was NJ COACH at Phillipsburg H.S. :oops: He took street-tough kids and turned them into STATE champs! :o Was a father-figure, confidant, to ALL of them,.. and respected/admired by the entire Community.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:19 am

Thad was in his 20s when he was at P-Burg, so 'father figure' may be a tad strong. But he did command respect even at an early age. When he took over at LU, he was 32.

On another note ...... coach Smith interviews great. He should only conduct himself like that during a meet. My in-person experience finds me thinking now I know where Kevin Ward gets it from. :D
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:50 pm

Oracle wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:19 am Thad was in his 20s when he was at P-Burg, so 'father figure' may be a tad strong. But he did command respect even at an early age. When he took over at LU, he was 32.

On another note ...... coach Smith interviews great. He should only conduct himself like that during a meet. My in-person experience finds me thinking now I know where Kevin Ward gets it from. :D
He was exactly a father figure to the kids.
He would have them stay at his place nights before duals
HFO

Post by HFO » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:53 am

For sure Thad was a father figure. I have seen the man at every Lehigh wrestler funeral I have attended. Thad was a leader of men. A man who garnered mutual trust and admiration. I would say the same for Greg and Pat and Billy. The lineage of leadership in the Head Coaching chair has been impressive. They were more than wrestling coaches, but leaders of men into the future.

I remember the P-Burg/Easton era of the 1960s despite being in Baltimore those years. Before Thad they were battles, they became legendary battle under Thad. I can think of no two school rivalries to the extreme of Easton/Pburg especially when you were in the PIT at the Pburg Gym. It is a special rivalry and program in American wrestling history.

So glad to see Thad still upright and looking good at the last home meet.