Penn

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Dad

Penn

Post by Dad » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:14 am

Looked to be a great tournament at Bucknell. Wasn’t able to attend but saw most of the matches on line. Congratulations to all of the wrestlers who punched their ticket to NCAAs.

Very surprised with Penn’s performance. 0-4 in the semi-finals and arguably their best guy (Colaiocco) didn’t place.
I looked at their roster and it is full of Blair, Delbarton and St Eds (Ohio) kids. I think 1 Wyoming Seminary kid too.

They are getting talent but it appears this talent is not performing up to the expectations Reina has.

You would think with the Penn RTC roster in the room, Penn would be making great gains. Burroughs, McKenna, Hall, McFadden - I’m sure I missed a few. That is talent probably second only to NLWC.

Not a dig at their program but would love some opinions.

George Porgie

Re: Penn

Post by George Porgie » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:32 am

Dad wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:14 am Looked to be a great tournament at Bucknell. Wasn’t able to attend but saw most of the matches on line. Congratulations to all of the wrestlers who punched their ticket to NCAAs.

Very surprised with Penn’s performance. 0-4 in the semi-finals and arguably their best guy (Colaiocco) didn’t place.
I looked at their roster and it is full of Blair, Delbarton and St Eds (Ohio) kids. I think 1 Wyoming Seminary kid too.

They are getting talent but it appears this talent is not performing up to the expectations Reina has.

You would think with the Penn RTC roster in the room, Penn would be making great gains. Burroughs, McKenna, Hall, McFadden - I’m sure I missed a few. That is talent probably second only to NLWC.

Not a dig at their program but would love some opinions.

They are not very nice, about anything and bad Karma invites bad Karma. Arrogance doesn't have much of a place in this sport. You always have to prove iy on the mat.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:39 pm

George Porgie wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:32 am
They are not very nice, about anything and bad Karma invites bad Karma. Arrogance doesn't have much of a place in this sport. You always have to prove iy on the mat.
Agree with that George - incidentally I ended up seated right behind Lucas Revano's parents and sister during session #2 (they rushed in and grabbed about 12 seats). I didn't know who they were at first other than obnoxious Penn fans, but I heard his sister make a personal, derogatory comment about me after I cheered on a Lehigh guy. When he stopped by after his match I was not surprised. Nasty people and another reminder that money does NOT buy class. It's okay, though - hopefully they enjoyed hearing my comments about how dirty Penn wrestlers are throughout the rest of that session.

If you watch their duals this season, there is more nonsense like headbutts, taunting, and shoving than just about any other team. Happened a couple times at EIWAs too. Penn's poor performance at the EIWAs shows that Reina needs to clean house and focus on different things. Bringing in dirty, arrogant Tyler Berger was a bad move and is not working out. Time to get back to basics and start over.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:10 pm

They're a disgrace to the Cheesesteak Capitol of the World.
George Porgie

Post by George Porgie » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:48 pm

martinsilvestri wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:39 pm
Agree with that George - incidentally I ended up seated right behind Lucas Revano's parents and sister during session #2 (they rushed in and grabbed about 12 seats). I didn't know who they were at first other than obnoxious Penn fans, but I heard his sister make a personal, derogatory comment about me after I cheered on a Lehigh guy. When he stopped by after his match I was not surprised. Nasty people and another reminder that money does NOT buy class. It's okay, though - hopefully they enjoyed hearing my comments about how dirty Penn wrestlers are throughout the rest of that session.

If you watch their duals this season, there is more nonsense like headbutts, taunting, and shoving than just about any other team. Happened a couple times at EIWAs too. Penn's poor performance at the EIWAs shows that Reina needs to clean house and focus on different things. Bringing in dirty, arrogant Tyler Berger was a bad move and is not working out. Time to get back to basics and start over.

I think they have a long standing tradition of being dirty wrestlers. They seem to operate on the model of; "it's not cheating if you don't get caught". I wish them the best, I'm not falling for it. That's one thing Santoro and company have an abundance of and that's class.
George Porgie

Post by George Porgie » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:50 pm

George Porgie wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:48 pm
martinsilvestri wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:39 pm

I think they have a long standing tradition of being dirty wrestlers. They seem to operate on the model of; "it's not cheating if you don't get caught". I wish them the best, I'm not falling for it. That's one thing Santoro and company have an abundance of and that's class.
And what upstanding individual would disgrace a poor cheesesteak. Unforgivable.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:13 pm

haven't seen this much Penn hate on the board since the early part of the millenium (when they were good)
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:56 pm

Are you saying it was Berger who urged his charges to ham it up?
Toast

Post by Toast » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:30 am

Dad wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:14 am Not a dig at their program but would love some opinions.
Generally, this is not what anyone hoped for this season based on what was on paper in November and recent recruiting which has included multiples from the big board each of the past few years.

My specific thoughts:

125. Good showing from a true freshman so far who beat out the incumbent. Placed above seed. Encouraging.

133. Injury? HEW? Head-scratcher for a former Fargo junior freestyle OW. DNP for 3 seed and former champ.

141. Had expected a bit more after an AA finish as a true freshman followed by a greyshirt. We'll see what he's got in two weeks. Regardless, placed above seed.

149. Good showing but placed below seed. Somewhat encouraging.

157. Was a 2x NJ state champ who never got over the hump vis-a-vis pedigree. Placed below seed.

165. Starter was injured and didn't wrestle, so to seed, really.

174. Tough tournament but not discouraged. Placed below seed.

184. Seeded 4th, placed 8th.

197. Wrestled to seed.

285. Not really competitive nationally. Wrestled below seed.

Above seed - 2
To seed - 2
Below seed - 6
Last edited by Toast on Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Toast

Post by Toast » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:35 am

Also, I've watched from abroad in recent years so I can't comment on the allegations of dirty wrestling or bad sportsmanship because I haven't seen it, but I do know that Lehigh fans have always had a hard-on for Penn going back the late 90's that they've never fully gotten over. Anyone who knows me knows my Lehigh bona fides but I've seen more obnoxious behavior from Lehigh fans at EIWAs over the years than any other team by a country mile.