End of an Era

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Re: End of an Era

Post by Oracle » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:38 am

IMO, what coach Grey was referring to when he said "growing the Ivy tournament like the ACC" means they also have 6 teams and their attendance is pretty decent. He wants the Ivy tournament to "grow" in terms of importance, not membership. There will be no adding of Dartmouth (really?) or Yale.

As James Bond said "You've had your six."

Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:15 am

Dartmouth was in the EIWA tournament for a year or two. The had a team for much longer, but it was in the NE/Yankee Conference.

Unfortunately, even though they could create teams for both genders Yales youngest wrestling Alums must be in their mid 50's
George Porgie

Post by George Porgie » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:28 pm

martinsilvestri wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:47 pm
FloridaGuy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:32 pm >>>>>> In his Flo interview Grey included a comment about focusing in the future on growing the Ivy wrestling tournament—————which makes no sense unless they somehow convince Dartmouth and Yale to add wrestling———which, imo, is the longest of long shots.
I'm glad someone else caught that, I asked my TV what the hell "growing the Ivy tournament" was supposed to mean.

Maybe a full jazz band for the anthem...
Now there's a great idea but only if Jazz gets the same alumni support as choir, orchestra and Marching 97. Not likely.
The Kid

Post by The Kid » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:57 am

Flo article on expected points at NCAAs for each conference based on seeds shows multiple small conferences with fewer points, including EIWA and Ivy. There will be more conference champions and points for that at NCAA and that will be more meaningless.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:29 pm

Princeton coach told me they wanted a 1day tournament as the reason to break off.

I would not schedule Columbia or Princeton again. They were he ring leaders of this & this included Ayres believe it or not.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:35 pm

LUEngineer wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:29 pm Princeton coach told me they wanted a 1day tournament as the reason to break off.

I would not schedule Columbia or Princeton again. They were he ring leaders of this & this included Ayres believe it or not.
I wouldn't schedule any of them ... including Cornell.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:11 pm

>>>>>> I don’t have an issue scheduling cu, Princeton or Penn——-plus the early season Princeton open.

The ivies will all face significant reloading challenges next year so I’m not sure how competitive they will be other than cu———and even cu will have some big shoes to fill at 133,197 & 285.

The Ivies will be hurt, over time, by the limitations on accepting transfers and I think the Princeton coaching change was a negative for the conference.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:01 am

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but don't they still award Ivy League diplomas?

No red shirting has been gotten around. Financial aid has been gotten around. Lack of transfers will be gotten around. The selling proposition is an Ivy League degree. Period. The end.

Joe Dubuque should be given a chance to grow into the job. He is well-liked by his athletes, and certainly knows what it takes to win given his 2 NCAA titles and mentoring of Pat Glory to his.

Brown is the outlier and they improved this year under Jordan Leen. No reason to believe that won't continue. The Ivies will have 6 solid programs and will continue to produce quality NCAA qualifiers. As it stands, they are ahead of what remains of the EIWA teams. IMO
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:26 am

Oracle wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:01 am Excuse me if I'm wrong, but don't they still award Ivy League diplomas?

No red shirting has been gotten around. Financial aid has been gotten around. Lack of transfers will be gotten around. The selling proposition is an Ivy League degree. Period. The end.
100%

Joe Dubuque should be given a chance to grow into the job. He is well-liked by his athletes, and certainly knows what it takes to win given his 2 NCAA titles and mentoring of Pat Glory to his.
A young guy with a ton of energy

Brown is the outlier and they improved this year under Jordan Leen. No reason to believe that won't continue.
A very solid coaching staff with Leen, TJ Dudley, Ty Walz, and the recent addition of Kemerer and Phillippi

The Ivies will have 6 solid programs and will continue to produce quality NCAA qualifiers. As it stands, they are ahead of what remains of the EIWA teams. IMO
All 6 schools obviously have the financial resources, and it looks as if they now all have the admin support to go with it.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:29 am

Dubuque saddled up Pat Glory and rode that pony right into the head coaching gig. Joe isn't looking too good without his star.