Post Match Interviews

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mookie

Post Match Interviews

Post by mookie » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:52 am

Many of the post-match wrestling interviews sound the same.

“But, you know, none of this matters unless I get a national title. So, the work doesn’t stop yet.”

"It's all practice for Kansas City."

"Just working to make sure my body feels right so I can stand on top of the podium."

"I have the best coaches and training partners in the country."

"I'll go back and work with my coaches to make the necessary adjustments."

"I know nobody outworks this team."

"I first want to thank my lord and savior Jesus Christ."

"None of this matters, the only thing that matters is God's plan for me."

George Porgie

Re: Post Match Interviews

Post by George Porgie » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:53 pm

mookie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:52 am Many of the post-match wrestling interviews sound the same.

“But, you know, none of this matters unless I get a national title. So, the work doesn’t stop yet.”

"It's all practice for Kansas City."

"Just working to make sure my body feels right so I can stand on top of the podium."

"I have the best coaches and training partners in the country."

"I'll go back and work with my coaches to make the necessary adjustments."

"I know nobody outworks this team."

"I first want to thank my lord and savior Jesus Christ."

"None of this matters, the only thing that matters is God's plan for me."

I think they all have the same trainer for post-match interviews. Good for fund raising.
LU61

Post by LU61 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:52 pm

Most likely the uniformity of wrestler responses is a result of the uniformity of the questions put to them by the press and the expectations of the audience. Ie, why blame the children for the sins of their parents.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:34 pm

I'm not sure how one expects them to answer. It has been my observation that fans are very quick to criticize honest responses as being arrogant, unintelligent etc. Stick to the stock answers and avoid all the negativity.

Just my opinion.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:47 pm

In my first several years working NCAAs there were interviews going on (not filmed) throughout the event. They came to us in notes each session. Most were just- I'm taking it one match at a time.
They stopped doing them eventually.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:05 pm

>>>>>>>>>It can vary depending on when the interview takes place.

The Logan interview posted on IM occurred shortly after his win and 4-1 record fighting thru consolations. He was clearly exhausted, but elated to earn another trip to the NCAAs. Spoke about the discussions with Coach Pat that led to him cutting to 165. Mentioned the challenge of staying sharp mentally and physically for duals shortly after weigh-ins given he wrestled 182 in hs.

I doubt he would receive a wild card bid given the quality of guys in the mix, and he stated returning to the NCAAs was a major goal for him.
In that unrehearsed interview he was the exact opposite of a HEW guy.

On a side note, I think the way individuals and teams perform in consolations reveals a lot about their character. Griffin and Logan fighting back after losing their initial EIWA match, imo, showed a high level of desire and toughness that you want in a Lehigh wrestler.
The Kid

Post by The Kid » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:08 pm

What is HEW?
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:26 pm

Had Enough Wrestling

Mentally not 100% committed, guys may act like they are working hard, talk like they are working hard but it shows up in matches where they fall behind early against guys they should beat or when they are clearly outmatched (cave)…..

Wrestling is a sport you have to be 100% committed to succeed…. Fall off to 90% you’re done….. may be able to pull it together enough to beat the weaker wrestlers but if you get pushed by a better wrestler or fall behind early to a weaker wrestler you check out, not 100% committed to do what it takes to fight for the win …..

If you’ve been around wrestling enough you know it when you see it…..
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:55 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:26 pm Had Enough Wrestling

Mentally not 100% committed, guys may act like they are working hard, talk like they are working hard but it shows up in matches where they fall behind early against guys they should beat or when they are clearly outmatched (cave)…..

Wrestling is a sport you have to be 100% committed to succeed…. Fall off to 90% you’re done….. may be able to pull it together enough to beat the weaker wrestlers but if you get pushed by a better wrestler or fall behind early to a weaker wrestler you check out, not 100% committed to do what it takes to fight for the win …..

All combat sports are like that. Boxing...who wants to be the guy who just shows up to be a punching bag? Chuck Wepner or Jerry Quarry?
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:02 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:26 pm Had Enough Wrestling

Reminds me of a guy when in Army....he was always last for something, no matter what. Last to show up to formation. Last in runs. Last out of bed in morning at the barracks. One day, the Staff NCO yelled at him and asked, "Why are you always last?"

The guy responded, "I'm pacing myself." No kidding, this guy after creation of CIA became a renowned covert operations agent.

So maybe, just maybe, Logan's goals was NCAA. Being 17 lbs lighter than after 5 years of college is something!
So if fact, Logan might just be pacing himself. To be peak in performance for just 2 weekends. He accomplished the first. He now could be dangerous with his experience in NCAA. When he finishes, he can be dangerous and a TD machine. The rest of the season was to show up and get practice in. ;)

He's in. Hope he earns points.