Week-End Salvo

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
HFO

Re: Week-End Salvo

Post by HFO » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:01 am

In Delta Force training pipeline, unlike other elite Special Operations, you do every task alone.
You are told the task, but not how to do it or how long it should take.
The training principally will be marksmanship, close quarters battle and land navigation.

Undoubtedly, the candidate will ask the Cadre, "What's the score or what's the time."

The answer is the same every time, "DO YOUR BEST!"

This is the NCAA and that is the mindset. To be the best, you just have to go all out. Do your best.
You do not ever know if it will be enough. You may rise to the challenge or you may fail. However, when you just do your best and leave it all out there, there is a good shot that you will advance.

Delta twice per year puts out letters to every person in military who has particular GT Score, Fitness Level Score, Rank, Time in Service. They will get a letter of invitation. One can respond or not respond. Twice per year, about 100+ will arrive for Delta Assessment & Selection. There will be classes where 0 pass, 1 pass or 10 pass. You just never know who DID THEIR BEST. To be eliminated it takes unanimous cadre to send someone home. They can try again next time. To continue, all it takes is one cadre member who believes that the candidate is always "Doing their best."

So to Lehigh Wrestlers...continue to "DO YOUR BEST." Whether up or down in score in a match, be relentless. Go for big moves if you have to. Never concede that you have lost. Be like a Rob Rohn and go big if you have to if down. DO YOUR BEST.

Just as LEHIGH put the picture of NCAA Champions on the wall. The Delta Hallway puts up the pictures of each graduating class of Delta Operators whether it be a picture of 1 or a group picture of 10. It is not easy to get up on the Wall. But when you do, it is a reminder to everyone who aspires behind you that YOU CAN BE THE BEST!

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:42 am

To HFO: I believe you have just provided the inspiration for a new banner for the Caruso Complex wrestling room: “DO YOUR BEST” — and should be flanked by a photo of Rob Rohn’s winning ‘go big’ move to win his National title as a reminder to everyone aspiring to greatness never to give up.
Well done.
HFO

Post by HFO » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:08 am

Oracle wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:42 am To HFO: I believe you have just provided the inspiration for a new banner for the Caruso Complex wrestling room: “DO YOUR BEST” — and should be flanked by a photo of Rob Rohn’s winning ‘go big’ move to win his National title as a reminder to everyone aspiring to greatness never to give up.
Well done.
+1

Legends are made when you do the near impossible!
legger

Post by legger » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:15 am

**** My best friends father was a Full Bird Colonel in the Air Force. He once told me "Life is like a game of cards, everyone is dealt a hand. Some hands are more powerful than others, but that does not determine the winner of the game. It is all about how you play your cards. The winner will be the one who plays the best until the very end."

I often think of one of our wrestlers (Max Brignola), who is not over strong or the most talented on the team. He often seems overmatched. However, Max often finds a way near the end of matches, to pull Victory from the jaws of Defeat.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:14 am

Oracle wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:19 am Big Question for Lehigh fans: with 4 seeded top 5 (2,2,4,5) and projecting team points within the top 5 -- what will be the reaction if these numbers fall short???
A top 10 finish with at least 3 AA's, regardless of placement, would be great. Anything more would be a bonus.
Just seeing the team come together this year and darned near win the EIWA's, has already made this season a success - in my opinion.

A few highlights (no slight intended to anyone not mentioned):
-Taylor's continued development into one of the toughest and most exciting heavyweights in the country.
-Beard developing the mental toughness to go with his outstanding physical prowess
-Stanich and Sheldon - you've gotta love 'em both.
-Crookham with the early win against Arujau, and then maintaining that level of excellence throughout the entire year.
-Griffin finally distancing himself from the pack at 149, and on top of it, "finding" out at the EIWA's that he has a very decent game from neutral.
-Max, win or lose, always giving 100% - a personification of "Do Your Best".

It's been a roller coaster of a year, but Coaches Pat et al have them peaking at just the right time.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:29 am

A roller coaster ride, but with minimal dips. An unbelievably positive season on all fronts. Even the weights where we didn't excel produced the following: Jake Logan qualified for the NCAAs, Conor Herceg showed tremendous grit and made LU fans proud of his effort, Jack Wilt developing and gaining valuable experience in his first year starting.

What's not to like? Cue mookie

BTW, next year we have Schoppe and Repos coming off red shirt giving us options; like Griffin back to 141 where he would be a monster and as Greg used to say "an unfair advantage."
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:09 am

JAD77 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:14 am
-Taylor's continued development into one of the toughest and most exciting heavyweights in the country.
What I especially like is his mobility and the free-ranging attack style; he doesn't try to win with a RT point and an escape. Reminiscent of Max Wessell.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:10 am

Oracle wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:29 am like Griffin back to 141 where he would be a monster and as Greg used to say "an unfair advantage."
I see Griffin bulking up to be a larger 149; not sure he can beat out Hines for the 141 spot.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:23 am

jdalu75 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:10 am
I see Griffin bulking up to be a larger 149; not sure he can beat out Hines for the 141 spot.
Or Crookham - Santoro confirmed in post-EIWA interview Stanich will be done at 125. Does he RS next year or go up to 133 with Crookham at 141? If he doesn't RS where do Hines and Bailey go? Do they stick around?
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:37 pm

martinsilvestri wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:23 am
jdalu75 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:10 am
Or Crookham - Santoro confirmed in post-EIWA interview Stanich will be done at 125. Does he RS next year or go up to 133 with Crookham at 141? If he doesn't RS where do Hines and Bailey go? Do they stick around?
I'm betting Stanich takes a RS next year, much like Darian did following his true-frosh season.