NCAA Championships Day 1 Session 2

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
ikeremix

Re: NCAA Championships Day 1 Session 2

Post by ikeremix » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:06 pm

Not seeing what you guys are seeing - Taylor was pure domination from start to finish IMO. Guy was the 12th seed and Taylor handed him his ass on a platter. I'll more than take it after that session.

Well done Crook, Beard and Big Nate. Realistic to think we could get 3 into the semis....Crook and Beard both slightly favored. And with Cohlton coming off a tough cut I think Big Nate gets em.

Stanich should hopefully handle Peterson. Then he'll likely get Camacho who hopefully has lost some fight now that he's in the cosi bracket. If he does he probably gets Noto for a chance to AA.

Rough session, but think they bounce back in the AM

JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:22 pm

ikeremix wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:06 pm Not seeing what you guys are seeing - Taylor was pure domination from start to finish IMO. Guy was the 12th seed and Taylor handed him his ass on a platter. I'll more than take it after that session.

Well done Crook, Beard and Big Nate. Realistic to think we could get 3 into the semis....Crook and Beard both slightly favored. And with Cohlton coming off a tough cut I think Big Nate gets em.

Stanich should hopefully handle Peterson. Then he'll likely get Camacho who hopefully has lost some fight now that he's in the cosi bracket. If he does he probably gets Noto for a chance to AA.

Rough session, but think they bounce back in the AM
Let's hope for a better day tomorrow, but let's also be realistic. Stanich, Hines, Griffin and Brignola all lost to wrestlers seeded lower than them, and three of them were 2 and out.

Really hoping for a good 3rd session tomorrow morning, and you're right - if we could get 3 into the semis that would be huge. Hope you're right - fingers crossed that they come out firing!!
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:24 pm

>>>>>>>Classic NCAA results—— a combination of good wins and gut wrenching losses. Three quality guys one win away from AA status, and Stanich with path thru the consolations.
DavidKla

Post by DavidKla » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:04 am

Now that I have finished my BBQ. The tournament is better attended this year than last in Tulsa. Bailey has generated a lot of buzz around the arena, but let's see what happens tomorrow. I think the 3 in the quarters will all AA looking at their brackets. I thought Taylor looked good against Doucet. Wasn't that a 1 takedown match in Oklahoma City just a few months ago? Going forward just need to keep restocking the roster. In the meantime, have a chance at some really good things here this weekend.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:03 am

The disappointment today was general lack of typical offense we witnessed at EIWa’s.

In retrospect, the 4 unseeded wrestlers we sent really had little chance to advance. Brignola might have been the exception since he has had some surprise performances.

The other 3 are either HEW super seniors or too inexperienced to have expected much.

So really the only real surprise was Stanich losing but if he regains his offense he will finish with a high medal.

Tomorrow is a new day & Top 10’remaind in our grasp!!
mookie

Post by mookie » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:37 am

In my opinion all of Lehigh's quarterfinal matches are toss ups.

Crookham vs. Bailey: this is a bad style match up for Ryan, Bailey is quick as a cat.

Beard vs. Elam: stay off bottom, Elam is a tough rider.

Taylor vs. Schultz: at some point Nathan will have to commit to a shot...high risk, high reward.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:41 am

So Stanich looking at likely path of Rutger's Peterson, 7 seed NC State's Camacho, then loser of Purdue's Ramos vs Lockhaven's Noto (last year's 2nd and 4th place finishers) to become an All American........sounds like fun.......

Agree with Mookie that all 3 are tossups.......which means all three are winnable......let's see a better day
DavidKla

Post by DavidKla » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:02 am

Agreed. Worst case, their round of 12 drop downs are favorable. As pointed out Stanich has a tough road ahead but doesn't mean he can't do it.
George Porgie

Post by George Porgie » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:09 am

George Porgie wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:38 pm
The Kid wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:23 pm I’ve switched from beer to whisky. Pot is next, then maybe something stronger. … Seriously, at least we can be pretty sure Beard will devastate his opponent and Taylor should win if his head is together.
This is the NCAA wrestling tournament, everyone is ranked top 33, no 172nd ranked wrestlers in the field. In fairness, this isn't that far from what I thought would happen. Stanich can still AA with luck and a reality check, Crookham probably 2nd, Beard, my prediction is 3rd or 4th, and Taylor may AA. All of these guys they face are the top guys on their teams. I think we are for the most part young and not battle-tested in this environment. Our two top seeds are both Freshman. Beard looks good because he's already been an AA and knows what to expect. He was 8th and then didn't place last year. That's what we're talking about. Ya can't go to sleep out there, they will take you out. Having said that I hope you are right. I'm not going to stop watching. Does anyone remember when both Letters and Trenge had to wrestle back for third? And they were both predicted to win it all. That's what this is.

This was my prediction from yesterday. If all goes our way, we have 4 AAs. I don't think we really thought we'd do much better than that. Luke is capable if he regroups and wrestles like he can. Crookham gets 2nd, Beard 3rd or 4th. Nate could AA. Again, does anyone remember when Letters and Trenge had to wrestle back to 3rd after both being 1 seeds? It's tough out there but we have some horses in the race. I think the first bout may be the toughest for those who are in their first tournament. I'll be surprised if Beard and Crookham don't AA but look at the bracket. There is the toughest competition ahead, but I think they all have their "sea legs" now.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:16 am

>>>>>Agree with mookster——— all toss ups coming our way——— which is usually the case for matches between the top 8 guys at each weight.

Have watched various Lehigh wrestlers catch lighting in the wrestlebacks and earn AA status—— including a true frosh 125 who will be an Olympian this year.

Enjoy the ride.