Over-Coaching?

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
FloridaGuy

Re: Over-Coaching?

Post by FloridaGuy » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:39 pm

>>>>>>> It’s fashionable to say more guys are entering college ready to win big at the NCAAs, but the actual facts show a different story.

Only 6 true frosh AAs this year and only 24 AAs from the last three recruiting classes. Simply put—- Guys in their 4th & 5th yr of college wrestling dominated the podium this year.

Wrestlers like Stanich, Kasak, and Shapiro are major news because their performances as true frosh were extraordinary.

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:51 pm

Maybe add all first year guys as well, like Crookham, Nasir Bailey, Messenbrink -- like I said, it's not just 1 or 2. It's enough to affect things. Your over-all point about veterans is true -- no one said otherwise.

So 6 true frosh -- which is a lot IMO -- and how many RS frosh like Crookham and Messenbrink? Frost, Feldman.
Now, we're up to 10 out of 80 = 13%. Statistically significant I would think.

You just like to be a contrarian, Captain.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:01 pm

>>>>>>>>> I don’t relish being a contrarian——I just go where the facts lead me.

The 24 AAs from the last three recruiting classes includes Crookham, Messenbrink, etc. So an avg of 8 AAs per yr from the last three recruiting classes———-it’s a relatively small number compared to the AAs that are 4th & 5th year wrestlers.

Also, if a guy needs a redshirt year to fully hit his stride——-like Crookham———one could say he wasn’t fully ready to excell at D-1.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:35 pm

8 guys *is* a significant number -- it's 10%. Almost 1 per weight class on average and I'll wager it will hit that level sooner than later.
HFO

Post by HFO » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

Oracle wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:35 pm 8 guys *is* a significant number -- it's 10%. Almost 1 per weight class on average and I'll wager it will hit that level sooner than later.
But 72 were not freshman and that is an even more significant number. NCAA for sure favors experience.

My two favorite freshmen to win, Don Rohn Hellertown High for Clarion State College and Matt Reiss Bethlehem Liberty High the first NC State National Champ. Then followed by Bethlehem Freedom Scott Turner the 3rd NC State National Champ, but as a senior.

Always special when a freshman wins it all. The pressure is then on!
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:50 pm

>>>>>>> To be clear, there were only 6 true frosh AAs this year. There have always been a handful of true freshmen AAs going back to Frick’s era when freshman became eligible.

Combining all the 1sr, 2nd & 3rd yr wrestlers at this year’s NCAAs totals 24 AAs————- vs 56 AAs who were in their 4th-5th-6th yr of college wrestling.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:31 pm

I don't feel like making a new thread for this, but "Over Coaching" will work. John Smith has just announced his retirement. Interesting to see if this will impact the annual dual, and perhaps if there may be any transfer shenanigans at OKst. Definitely the end of an era.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:49 pm

martinsilvestri wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:31 pm I don't feel like making a new thread for this, but "Over Coaching" will work. John Smith has just announced his retirement. Interesting to see if this will impact the annual dual, and perhaps if there may be any transfer shenanigans at OKst. Definitely the end of an era.
End of an era is an understatement. This is on the level of Gable retiring. A true legend in United States wrestling (even if he was a bit of a whiner while coaching bouts :D )
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:21 pm

JAD77 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:49 pm
martinsilvestri wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:31 pm I don't feel like making a new thread for this, but "Over Coaching" will work. John Smith has just announced his retirement. Interesting to see if this will impact the annual dual, and perhaps if there may be any transfer shenanigans at OKst. Definitely the end of an era.
End of an era is an understatement. This is on the level of Gable retiring. A true legend in United States wrestling (even if he was a bit of a whiner while coaching bouts :D )
Bit of a whiner? One of the biggest crybabies ever. Act like a man FFS.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:38 am

One could never accuse CAEL of "over-coaching" as his demeanor from the sidelines is stoic! 8-)

Hardly ever uttering a word he is the perfect example of a COACH who knows the homework has been done
IN-THE-ROOM,.. and with no reason to be demonstrative, he's leaving it up to the boys to entertain! ;)

The constant THEME that resonates whenever his wrestlers are interviewed is that they're having FUN, and have the upmost belief in GOD to steer them thru any hardship, etc. Unless they were of this "mind-set" before arriving in Happy Valley, I have to believe Sanderson is also the PREACHER in that room! :roll: