Over-Coaching?

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Over-Coaching?

Post by Oracle » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:32 pm

Not sure what Teemer was thinking during his final with Levi Haines. Can’t believe he came up with that strategy on his own. More likely Zeke authored that bout management plan. It made zero sense. Teemer is an explosive guy and he never engaged. Gotta think it was a case of over-coaching.

First time 2 guys from Nassau County who grew up together in Vougar’s club (Vito’s father) made the finals.

HFO

Re: Over-Coaching?

Post by HFO » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:36 pm

Oracle wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:32 pm Not sure what Teemer was thinking during his final with Levi Haines. Can’t believe he came up with that strategy on his own. More likely Zeke authored that bout management plan. It made zero sense. Teemer is an explosive guy and he never engaged. Gotta think it was a case of over-coaching.

First time 2 guys from Nassau County who grew up together in Vougar’s club (Vito’s father) made the finals.
Announcer said it. Jacori whether he is wrestling the #1 or the #31 has a knack of keeping it to 2 points or less decision. While explosive, like Crookham, he tries to get ahead and then goes all out defensive the entire match. Just never got his points early and never let it fly in the 3rd period.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:09 am

Teemer took what I consider severe/warranted criticism from our astute commentators! Kid seemed to wrestle with an ATTITUDE, and a strategy that did NOT serve him well. :oops:

How 'bout the Under-Coaching in Mesenbrink match with Carr, where he puts on-the-brakes with time left on the clock, assuming the match tied 8-8 and going into over-time. He did not seem cognizant of the RT point Carr had coming, and I saw no admonishment or sense of urgency from the PSU bench to get-after-it! Would loved to have seen this go to OT, as Carr was fading badly. :roll:

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/121 ... 0&limit=60

Kid is somewhat of an eccentric from interview segments, but in a COOL way. Doesn't have the stuffed animal in his corner like a Ray Brinzer(old Iowa guy). Feathers must FLY when he, and Haines lock-up in that Penn State room! 8-)
George Porgie

Post by George Porgie » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:43 pm

I have no problem with Penn St. losing. It's good for the sport. However had the ref called stalling on Carr 5 or 6 more times maybe the lad from Penn St. would have prevailed as God intended.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:06 pm

Stalling? Or pushing a guy out. I'm old school and don't consider that stalling. A guy is stalling when he shoots a few times and the other guy backs up,,,,,not pushes a few times and the guy backs up.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:06 pm

George Porgie wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:43 pm I have no problem with Penn St. losing. It's good for the sport. However had the ref called stalling on Carr 5 or 6 more times maybe the lad from Penn St. would have prevailed as God intended.
TONGUE N CHEEK Georgie-Porgie? Hmm,.. a take-down VS un-sportsman-like conduct, TOUGH-CALL! :roll:
The Kid

Post by The Kid » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:31 am

Oracle wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:32 pm Not sure what Teemer was thinking during his final with Levi Haines. Can’t believe he came up with that strategy on his own. More likely Zeke authored that bout management plan. It made zero sense. Teemer is an explosive guy and he never engaged. Gotta think it was a case of over-coaching.

Seems to me that a master technician like Crookham does best holding back and looking for that strategic opportunity, but as for most others, especially when they are underdogs, pushing the pace and throwing it all at them seemed best. A number of lower ranked wrestlers who went deep into the bracket, some even making all-American, were non-stop action.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:40 am

Not sure where to put this so I'll just drop it here.....

Daton Fix wrestled in 4 NCAA finals and his only points scored in all four were by escape or penalty (locking hands, stalling etc).......read that on Intermat forums, and appears to be true......

Hard to win that way.......
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:33 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:40 am Not sure where to put this so I'll just drop it here.....

Daton Fix wrestled in 4 NCAA finals and his only points scored in all four were by escape or penalty (locking hands, stalling etc).......read that on Intermat forums, and appears to be true......

Hard to win that way.......
Hard to KNOCK a 4X finalist but have seen very little improvement over-the-years in his style/repertoire!

Same with Mekhi Lewis(1,2,4,4,) who made that marvelous CINDERELLA run in 2019.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 am

It happens to many guys. Hard to maintain top of the podium with so much new, young talent emerging year after year. More than ever, guys are coming in prepared to win it right away. Not just 1 or 2. That's a shift in the lanscape.
Take Shane Griffith --- 1,2,5,3. Mekhi is another good example. Thanks 1/2