Transfer portal

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Re: Transfer portal

Post by Oracle » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:02 am

Good question.

IMO, this illustrates the challenges coaches face dealing with 17/18 year olds. They may be academically smart, but they are still emotionally under-developed. I think we can all recall L'Affaire de Grey prompting Greg Strobel to drop Cornell from the schedule.

legger

Post by legger » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:20 am

**** Yes when Grey decided to go north it left a bad taste for Greg and Lehigh that did not go away quickly. Now that Cornell and the rest of the Ivies have left the EIWA to create their own conference, we shall have to wait and see how, that plays out for both The EIWA and the Ivies. I know many here will miss the rivalry but I doubt few will wish the lvies well.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:35 am

Don't sleep on Lock Haven. Scott Moore seems to be putting together a pretty good recruiting class to build around Wyatt Henson who came over last year, I think.

In addition to Kunstek, 2X PIAA AAA champ Tucker Hogan is in that class as well as PIAA AAA 2nd Dean Houser, both from Daniel Boone and NHSCA Junior National Champ Connor Wetzel.

It could be interesting to see how this class develops.

As for Nick's journey, I'm fairly certain that there were issues in play that we are not aware of. I wish him well.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:22 am

>>>>>>> Regardless of the reasons for Kunstek backing off his early Lehigh commitment, Santoro and staff have put together a very solid middle weight recruiting mix.

Ranked ( per Flo) seniors at 144, 157. & 175 plus ranked juniors at 150 ( two) & 175.

Kunstek dropped out of FLo’s weight class rankings with his Pa 4th finish, but I wish he was still a Lehigh recruit as I think he has upside.

Agree that Lock Haven has put together a good recruiting class, but in the new transfer portal and NIL era, I think those guys become transfer targets for the big time programs like Mich if they excell early in their careers.

All the more reason for the Lehigh Way NIL to be successful.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:45 pm

"Agree that Lock Haven has put together a good recruiting class, but in the new transfer portal and NIL era, I think those guys become transfer targets for the big time programs like Mich if they excell early in their careers."

I agree but it made me reflect that it has historically been the other way around. Lock Haven seemed to be the landing place for those who seemed lost.

Wyatt Henson transferred in from Oklahoma
Anthony Noto was originally at NC State
Chance Marstellar came from Oklahoma St.
JaMarr Billman from Penn State
Cary Kolat also from Penn State

There are probably more but these are the most notable.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:11 pm

Rumor has it that McGonagle transferred to Virginia Tech over the weekend.

If true, I wish him nothing but the best. Great young man.
D3 for LU

Post by D3 for LU » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:57 pm

Justafan wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:11 pm Rumor has it that McGonagle transferred to Virginia Tech over the weekend.

If true, I wish him nothing but the best. Great young man.
He HAS been mentioned on their message board... see 4/10/24 post, If it's McGonagle by VTwinsdad.

https://virginiatech.sportswar.com/mess ... twrestling

...let's see if that does pan out for him.

D3
Sir, a pint of you finest ale, please!
Never argue with an idiot... he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:58 am

Confirmed today, McG to V-tech. Best of luck to him there. I guess he will take over for Latona who will go up to 141? All star classic rivals now neighbors.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:54 pm

Meanwhile, VT's Cooper Flynn 125 has entered portal today
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:57 pm

Intermat has confirmed McGonagle to VT.

Due to the timing, I wonder if the Cooper Flynn transfer is related. Perhaps 125 has become too hard of a cut.

Just postulating.
:-)