Transfer portal

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
LUEngineer

Re: Transfer portal

Post by LUEngineer » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:19 pm

Mays won the Lewis award for best redshirt year performance at dinner the other night.

I think I posted that Rogers does not appear ready to transition from High School to college level & that 184 would be best weight to bring in a transfer portal guy.

Justafan

Post by Justafan » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:09 am

LUEngineer wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:19 pm Mays won the Lewis award for best redshirt year performance at dinner the other night.

I think I posted that Rogers does not appear ready to transition from High School to college level & that 184 would be best weight to bring in a transfer portal guy.
I think some people underestimate the impact an injury can have on an individual both physically and perhaps as important mentally when the difference between success and failure is often measured in fractions of a second. Caden is well aware what wrestling on the college level is about. His father' of course, is the head coach at F&M. He wrestled at Malvern, a factory for producing high quality wrestlers and wrestled against the best that level had to offer with significant success. IMO, the injury his freshman year still impacts his confidence and the injury last year only compounded it.
I talked with N. Garrett last week who emphasized that wrestling is mostly mental. Although, athletes have a sports psychologist available to them, I think it has been significantly de-emphasized over the years. Others may know differently.
I remain optimistic about Caden who told me he is going 184 for one more year.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:53 am

Justafan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:09 am I think some people underestimate the impact an injury can have on an individual both physically and perhaps as important mentally when the difference between success and failure is often measured in fractions of a second. Caden is well aware what wrestling on the college level is about. His father' of course, is the head coach at F&M. He wrestled at Malvern, a factory for producing high quality wrestlers and wrestled against the best that level had to offer with significant success. IMO, the injury his freshman year still impacts his confidence and the injury last year only compounded it.
I talked with N. Garrett last week who emphasized that wrestling is mostly mental. Although, athletes have a sports psychologist available to them, I think it has been significantly de-emphasized over the years. Others may know differently.
I remain optimistic about Caden who told me he is going 184 for one more year.
I concur with Justafan. Caden has very solid hand fighting skills and is pretty good defensively. He just never takes a shot - and to me, that "appears" to be due to a lack of confidence (Just my opinion). The problem is, that is very, very difficult to overcome.
He seems like a really nice kid - I'd love to see him reach his potential.
mh1

Post by mh1 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:26 am

Nick Kunstek to Lock Haven is an interesting development. Had thought Ohio State was the change of heart
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:55 am

mh1 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:26 am Nick Kunstek to Lock Haven is an interesting development. Had thought Ohio State was the change of heart
Maybe he's competing with Mason Gibson (Cornell to Penn State to ?) for this year's "Most Fickle Committer Award".
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:19 pm

Kunstek is one of the Steller Trained guys and has trained with Marsteller there for a while. That's the only connection that makes sense. Still strange to decommit from Lehigh and end up at Lock Haven by way of Ohio State. kinda seems like "one step forward and two steps back". Unfortunate as we could certainly use him here.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:46 pm

Question:
As athletes commit to colleges earlier and earlier, when exactly does a college commit to an athlete.
I'll assume that there is an evaluation early in the process but I suspect acceptance aligns more the EA period.

If academics are not maintained or there are behavioral issues, colleges are not compelled to follow through with the offer. Is this correct?

I am certainly not implying that this is the case with Nick. Heaven knows that NIL has certainly added new wrinkles especially in how rosters are comprised from one year to the next.
lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:24 pm

Justafan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:46 pm Question:
As athletes commit to colleges earlier and earlier, when exactly does a college commit to an athlete.
I'll assume that there is an evaluation early in the process but I suspect acceptance aligns more the EA period.

If academics are not maintained or there are behavioral issues, colleges are not compelled to follow through with the offer. Is this correct?

I am certainly not implying that this is the case with Nick. Heaven knows that NIL has certainly added new wrinkles especially in how rosters are comprised from one year to the next.
National signing day is in early November of the recruited athlete's senior year. (8-Nov for the current HS senior class) Anything prior to that are nothing more than verbal agreements and declarations.
http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/index.html

Here's one of the FAQ answers from the same site: http://www.nationalletter.org/frequentl ... iting.html
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:43 pm

Thanks lu_alum.

So yes LOI signings run concurrent with early admissions which is the conduit for which virtually all athletes formally become admitted to Lehigh.

I asked that question because I think the assumption is that it is always the athlete who reneges on the verbal commitment. I believe that there are times when it is the University that fails to accept the athlete, prior to the November signing period for many reasons including not maintaining academic standards.

We will never know how often that is the case.

Again, thanks.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:28 pm

Someone has to explain to me what the Nick Kunstek situation is all about…..not from a Lehigh perspective but just in general…..

Lehigh - Ohio State- Lockhaven ?

Before he even graduates high school? Talk about 3 schools you rarely see lumped together in recruiting…..