Transfer portal

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
HFO

Re: Transfer portal

Post by HFO » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:02 pm

JAD77 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:06 pm
LUEngineer wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:10 pm I am thoroughly on the same page as whiz wit that we have young guys that can in fact step it up.

I predict that Stanich will not redshirt but bulk up & take the 141 spot from Hines. Stanich is a driven kid with work ethic that will take him to the top of the podium some day.

I predict that Griffin will in fact improve substantially on his feet with our excellent coaching staff at 149.

I predict that Mays will stay & excel at 165 as he has pedigree credentials.

I predict the Shoeppe will have a great rookie year as he has good pedigree & talent to do well at 174.

I predict that Wilt will improve & perhaps the coaches will get Rogers to find his offense to cover 184.
I sure as heck hope you're right, but I certainly wouldn't listen to any of your picks for the stock market or the race track :lol:
3 out of 5 of those predictions would be awesome.

We all know Stanich will never see 125 again - just wondering if Crookham can hold 133 - he wrestled at 138 his senior year in HS.
I predict that your picks will have less than 20% success rate. If you are going to make money betting, at least master the concept of Kelly Betting or Thorpe Method.

HFO

Post by HFO » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:05 pm

whiz wit wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:51 am HFO, you have Dubler at 165, Brancato at 174 and Wilt at 184 on the chopping block. Do you know that they're the projected starters for next season? Do you know that Herceg isn't returning? He at times took his lumps for the team wrestling up a weight and had a win against Cornell that was big in the team winning the dual. Do you know that Lawrence won't be coming back and be healthy? With his injuries he hasn't wrestled much but who knows? Rogers didn't show much in his brief appearances but he's young. Wilt, in his second year and first as a starter, looked very good at times. Schoppe sat out his first season due to injury.

You think it's ok to give these guys, as well as young guys Dubler and Brancato, votes of no confidence for the sake of bringing in guys ranked in the mid 20's to 30's? May not improve the team all that much while not being good for morale and bad form on the part of the coach, in my opinion.
I know that 27 rank is a better wrestler than a 55 rank. At what year, 3rd, 4th, 5th do any of these guys emerge to a Top 30? Do you know?
HFO

Post by HFO » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:13 pm

whiz wit wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:03 pm O and HFO, It would have taken another 12 1/2 points at Nationals to move up two spots from 15th to 13th; three points to move up all of one spot. Are your #24-38 portal guys going to score 12 1/2 points? Is it worth it to move up one spot to 14th?

Oh, and they're not car salesmen. They're student-athletes.
Yes, or we can just stagnate another year for 3rd year in a row for 165 to 184. Either improve or lose your time. Even in orthopedics, the great surgeons get the surgical suite time and clients. The average just are available and do not.

There is nothing wrong coming to Lehigh as a potential starter and then finding you will never emerge. There have been plenty of State Champions who have come and found that out.

Is it worth it to move down one spot each year and get progressively less competitive? That's what has been happening at Lehigh as an institution for the past decade plus.

Make no mistake about it, as good as Pat is as a coach and a person, he still has to up his game as the rules of the game have changed and access to talent is available. There is a high probability that 141 to 184 will score ZERO points at NCAA. There is a better probability if you bring in wrestlers ranked #16 to #33 that they will at least win a single bout at each weight class and possibly get a bonus point.

On we go...either improve or become caught in the middle of nowhere.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:22 pm

Don't believe YOU, me, or anyone else has to bring to Pat's attention the changing "landscape" of collegiate wrestling, and the competitive nature of the recruiting process! :roll:
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:21 am

A one year transfer is disruptive unless that transfer is ready to crack into AA territory. We have some quality talent from 165 to 184 & it is up to the coaches to turn that talent into NCAA points.

Lehigh culture is based on development not hired guns.

If Mays is leaving then 165 is a need but is there a portal person with more than 1 year eligibility?
Lehigh2007

Post by Lehigh2007 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:11 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:07 pm Just to be clear deferred wrestler of the year does not mean you were the academic deferred wrestler of the year correct?

Not implying anything, just saying.......

I am probably looking in the wrong place but the only thing on Flo I can find is the transfer tracker from April 9th 2024 which doesn't list him

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/1 ... er-tracker
Lehigh2007

Post by Lehigh2007 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:12 am

Oracle wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:06 pm It's not a random rumor -- it's listed on FLO's website.
I am probably looking in the wrong place but the only thing on Flo I can find is the transfer tracker from April 9th 2024 which doesn't list him

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/1 ... er-tracker
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:11 pm

HFO would like to see Mosher move up from 165 to take 174 and Hale at 184.

Mosher was 10-10 at 165. Hale is ranked 32 at 184. I think HFO would agree that young guys generally have more upside than graduates, and it's not uncommon for graduates to actually decline.

Wilt has wrestled two seasons and is ranked 59 by wrestlestat. He looked good at times last season. Rogers was a top 70 recruit who, due to injury, has only wrestled 8 bouts for LU. I don't see Hale as a pick-up worth sending Wilt and Rogers to the bleachers.

Schoppe was a two time top 3 N.J. finisher at 174 who wrestled all of one bout in his first season. Unless Lawrence is no longer an option and Santoro is very confident that Mosher at 174 would be a great improvement over Schoppe over the course of the season, I wouldn't bring him in.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:36 pm

Agree with whiz wit.

But disagree with LUEngineer. Lehigh culture? The goal is to win. What you're really saying is LU has to win with 'style points.' Winning programs have many advantages over Lehigh yet we manage to hold our own. Many are sick of holding our own. We are slipping ever more steadily to oblivion. Home attendance is disappointing to say the least. Recruiting is disappointing compared to programs we are trying to keep up with. The ACC has passed us like we were tied to a tree in recruiting.Change. And more change. Massive NIL money is needed, no required. No team can be top 10-15 without elite recruits. And not 1 per year. Elites need elites to work out with. In today's market, that mean NIL spending and not only on portal guys. I disagree we have the right talent at 165-184 to move the needle. Who is there with elite hs credentials? BTW, I am high on Schoppe. He's built for D1, but how many times do we expect NJ 2,3 or PA 3 to emerge to the AA level? Can anyone build a top 10 program without multiple time state champs from PA, NJ, OH, NY? Wanting it to be a certain way doesn't mean that's reality. No disrespect intended.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:01 pm

There is some irony to this line of thought. We are all in agreement that our real strength was at the beginning and end of our lineup. We are also in agreement that the area of 165-184 was the real weakness. As to the latter, we had a 2X NJ State Champion, a 2X New York State Champion, a 2X PA State Champion and a National Prep 6,3,1,2 on the roster, not to mention a 2X PA State Champion who is no longer with the program. It seems that a lack of recruiting of highly credentialed wrestlers in those weights was not a problem. Unfortunately, there are always other factors that are beyond our control in play.