Transfer portal

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
HFO

Re: Transfer portal

Post by HFO » Fri May 03, 2024 6:24 pm

Cam Amine 165 available. There are plenty with degrees in hand. Lehigh grad schools are not MIT, admissions for most are 70% or higher of applicants.

Portal is a tool in the tool chest. Coaches and AD will have to figure it out for their institutions. If we are not prepared, that is not an excuse. Need to be talking to some these guys.

HFO

Post by HFO » Fri May 03, 2024 6:26 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:54 pm
1/2NELSON wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:19 pm Cease with the speculation :lol: , Starocci says NO to Lehigh,.. and returns to HAPPY VALLEY! :P

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/2024/5 ... derson-bsd
Does Lehigh offer a Masters degree in Recreation.
Yes, I believe both in College of Education and College of Health Population. :lol:
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Sat May 04, 2024 7:32 am

HFO wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:26 pm
Richb-3 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:54 pm
1/2NELSON wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:19 pm Cease with the speculation :lol: , Starocci says NO to Lehigh,.. and returns to HAPPY VALLEY! :P

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/2024/5 ... derson-bsd
Does Lehigh offer a Masters degree in Recreation.
Yes, I believe both in College of Education and College of Health Population. :lol:
Despite HFO’s obvious disdain for both above mentioned College’s, the correct answer is no.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Sat May 04, 2024 9:36 am

Pat has said several times that he far prefers to recruit and develop wrestlers but is not averse to going into the portal. However it needs to be the right fit, he says.

By that, he means not only weight class but academic qualification, course offerings and locker room fit. Those that major in recreation, parks and tourism management like Starocci, Kinesiology (Parco and Amine) and Sport and Exercise Science (Alirez) are very unlikely to be pursued. IMO.

It probably doesn't help that 2 of our last 4 transfers at Lehigh didn't make it past the 1st year. Yes, Lehigh remains an academic institution first.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sat May 04, 2024 12:09 pm

Please.

IMO, Justafan has just encapsulated why LU wrestling is sucking hind teat.

We are either all in or everyone stop whining about not signing transfers.

Academic institution my arse. Penn State has a fine academic reputation.So does Michigan. Et al.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sat May 04, 2024 3:23 pm

I think you all can rest assured that our coaches are very engaged in the portal weighing all factors in pursuing the right candidates that can get us back in the Top 10 vs Top 20 at NCAA’s. All are aligned on that goal!!’

So suggest all relax & see where it shakes out in a couple months.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sat May 04, 2024 4:41 pm

Justafan wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:36 am Pat has said several times that he far prefers to recruit and develop wrestlers but is not averse to going into the portal. However it needs to be the right fit, he says.

By that, he means not only weight class but academic qualification, course offerings and locker room fit. Those that major in recreation, parks and tourism management like Starocci, Kinesiology (Parco and Amine) and Sport and Exercise Science (Alirez) are very unlikely to be pursued. IMO.

It probably doesn't help that 2 of our last 4 transfers at Lehigh didn't make it past the 1st year. Yes, Lehigh remains an academic institution first.

While I don’t disagree with a lot of your posts that last sentence is laughable, education has been replaced by political correctness ….. i see it every time i visit the campus and the changes on display….. there is a reason Lehigh wasn’t on the “new Ivy league” put out by Forbes recently…..
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Sat May 04, 2024 6:09 pm

I have no idea what point either of you are making.

On one hand the outcry is that Lehigh is no longer the science based technical institution it once was. On the other hand, you complain because Lehigh with only about 7,000 undergrads and grads combined don't offer majors in sports management and kinesiology so that we can cram wrestlers where they don't belong.

Penn State and Michigan are very good schools but also very large institutions with a zillion potential majors. Not all of them transfer to Lehigh well. The large schools that now dominate the NCAA tournament have plenty of places to hide athletes. Lehigh, not so much. Is it a bad thing? IMHO, no.

The 10-20 posters here are passionate about wrestling. I get it. There are 80,000 Lehigh alumni and they also have different passions.

LUEngineer is absolutely correct, the Lehigh coaches are diligently pursuing options to fill in the holes in our lineups. There are some excellent candidates out there. Not everyone is a good fit. Be patient.

As for the Forbes list, It simply implies that Lehigh is not considered to be one of the top 18 schools in the country by some subjective parameter. Tell me what you think the reason is. Are you insinuating that Lehigh is not "conservative " enough to compare to the Ivies :-)
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sat May 04, 2024 6:13 pm

Umm, that post suggests willfull ignorance to the point of the previous posts…..you can disagree, but please god don’t plead ignorance…..it’s unbecoming at best…..
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Sat May 04, 2024 7:21 pm

I missed your point just now. Please explain.