Transfer portal

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
lu_alum

Re: Transfer portal

Post by lu_alum » Wed May 01, 2024 7:49 pm

1/2NELSON wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:22 pm Kid would FIT-IN nicely at Lehigh! :roll:

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/1 ... fer-portal

I'm sure Oracle, or anyone of our affluent BOOSTERS,.. would be more than happy to throw in a season SKI/snowboard pass at Camel-Back, along with GIANT season tickets to help seal-the-deal. :lol:
Seven guys from Northern Colorado have hit the portal. Here's the count of those who have entered since NCAAs.

Transferring From
15 - Buffalo
13 - NDSU

Seven
Cal Baptist
Northern Colorado

Five
Columbia
Iowa State
Michigan State
Missouri
Nebraska
Northern Illinois
Oregon State
Pitt

2 - Lehigh

Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Wed May 01, 2024 8:22 pm

Look for many of the smaller programs to pack it in over the next few years.
HFO

Post by HFO » Thu May 02, 2024 1:08 am

Personally, I think this year is an anomaly of volume due to that it is 6th or 7th year for a number of these athletes. They have earned their undergraduate degree. They have achieved their goals for most part. I suspect for some of them the university and the coaches are moving them on after their 5th year. Thus, there is a population of 5th to 7th year guys who have a year left and just want to get a 2nd or 3rd degree and a new environment. No surprising that a number of them are heading south or to a place like Michigan.

Saw flow video on Alirez and his discussion that he expects Iowa and Oklahoma State to still go heavy after those who are All American potential. Thinks the days of recruiting and developing high schoolers are over unless they are sure no miss. Looks like some of the big programs will exclusively be building their teams through transfer portal based on making it to R12 of a wrestlers first school. Then they will be coming hard to poach them. A brave new world of recruiting.

Again, for elite academic institutions that do not have special class admissions, place like Lehigh, you will have to still academically earn your way in especially as a freshman transfer or the rare sophomore transfer. I do not even think Lehigh will take junior transfers. Thus are only options are likely an elite freshman transfer or a graduate transfer. The others will be going after everyone. Wonder if NCAA will maintain a minimum graduate rate of athletes going forward. I suspect that could be scrapped in future because of Football and Basketball.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Thu May 02, 2024 9:41 am

The problem is that gate swings both ways. Success makes Lehigh a prey as much (if not more) than a hunter. No?
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Thu May 02, 2024 12:19 pm

Cease with the speculation :lol: , Starocci says NO to Lehigh,.. and returns to HAPPY VALLEY! :P

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/2024/5 ... derson-bsd
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Thu May 02, 2024 12:54 pm

1/2NELSON wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:19 pm Cease with the speculation :lol: , Starocci says NO to Lehigh,.. and returns to HAPPY VALLEY! :P

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/2024/5 ... derson-bsd
Does Lehigh offer a Masters degree in Recreation.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Thu May 02, 2024 2:35 pm

Justafan wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:41 am The problem is that gate swings both ways. Success makes Lehigh a prey as much (if not more) than a hunter. No?
omg how this board gonna melt the first time that happens
mh1

Post by mh1 » Thu May 02, 2024 4:27 pm

How about Gerrit Nejinhuis of Purdue/Oklahoma! He might fit
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Thu May 02, 2024 5:16 pm

I still remember Gerrit beating Edmond Ruth is the PIAA finals a few years ago.

IMO. he is someone to consider but not my favorite target. I would rather develop Schoppe at 174 and GN seems to be backpedaling in the rankings.

Is the spring portal now closed and what does that even mean? Athletes can still transfer but they can't advertise on the portal now until it opens up again?

Barraclough is still my top pick with Rylan Rogers next. I seem to like those Rocky Mountain recruits with one from Utah and the other from Idaho originally.
Asa Packer

Post by Asa Packer » Thu May 02, 2024 9:36 pm

I think the portal closes next Tue, but don't trust my memory.