Name, Image and Likeness

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
1/2NELSON

Re: Name, Image and Likeness

Post by 1/2NELSON » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:37 pm

gimpeltf wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:43 pm
1/2NELSON wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:40 pm Have really given NIL minimal attention, thus I find the imput from ALL you guys pretty informative. :)
So, you think nil of NIL?
:o :roll: ;) :lol:

JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:19 am

“NIL just accelerates that disadvantage by allowing supporters from schools with 5 X the alumni base to add to the disparity.”

More like 10-15 times the alumni base.
Penn State, for example, has over 40,000 undergraduates in Happy Valley, and over 70,000 undergraduates in all the Penn State campuses combined.
ASU has over 65,000.
Etc, etc.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:06 pm

Valid PT by FG per Supreme Court decision per NIL...

"Supreme Court opened the NIL Pandora’s box———NCAA fought against it and lost."
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:08 pm

Yeah, but it still comes down to who is interested in designating NIL money to wrestling. I would submit to you, Lehigh has 'some' advantages there. Wealthy, wrestling-centric LU alums are probably more plentiful per capita than at ASU, for example.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:13 pm

1/2NELSON wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:06 pm Valid PT by FG per Supreme Court decision per NIL...

>>>>>>> The NCAA will continue to lose court cases. They have no say in this. The Wild West now in college athletics. Just heard the UNC football collective is raising funds to pay off last year's NIL expenditures. Insane.
Eastonpa

Post by Eastonpa » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:44 pm

Oracle wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:13 pm
1/2NELSON wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:06 pm Valid PT by FG per Supreme Court decision per NIL...

>>>>>>> The NCAA will continue to lose court cases. They have no say in this. The Wild West now in college athletics. Just heard the UNC football collective is raising funds to pay off last year's NIL expenditures. Insane.
Debt financing with NIL.

What can possibly go wrong there . . . .
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:09 pm

Oracle wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:08 pm Yeah, but it still comes down to who is interested in designating NIL money to wrestling. I would submit to you, Lehigh has 'some' advantages there. Wealthy, wrestling-centric LU alums are probably more plentiful per capita than at ASU, for example.
I certainly don't disagree with that statement in the present. And therein lies the urgency I mentioned. The average age of that wealthy, wrestling centric LU Alums you are referring to is getting well past 70. Several very well known supporters have passed away recently and we are pretty much bankrupt in this area after that.

Unfortunately, when I look at athletic contributions, there seems to be a general lack of former wrestlers over the last 50 years.

For those who are extraordinarily passionate about wrestling, estate planning may be an option. Again, I am just trying to be realistic about what is ahead.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:00 pm

You aren't wrong -- and duly noted.
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:11 am

Recent article from CBS Sports titled:
SEC, Big Ten developing plan to share revenue with players in potential landmark change to college athletics

Not sure how that would affect wrestling, as the vast majority of the money would go to football players, and secondly to BBall players. But even a small portion of the potential future revenue being directed to wrestlers could really tilt the balance in favor of the Power 4 Conferences even further.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:44 am

JAD77 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:11 am Recent article from CBS Sports titled:
SEC, Big Ten developing plan to share revenue with players in potential landmark change to college athletics

Not sure how that would affect wrestling, as the vast majority of the money would go to football players, and secondly to BBall players. But even a small portion of the potential future revenue being directed to wrestlers could really tilt the balance in favor of the Power 4 Conferences even further.
I'm thinking outside the box now, but the ripple effect may change everything and possibly benefit Lehigh.

This will escalate the transition of college sports into essentially the Big 2, bringing an end to the ACC and the Big 12, sooner rather than later. Only the Big 10 will be set up for wrestling. Those migrating to the SEC may need to find alternative conferences to enable them for the NCAA tournament. The EIWA may be uniquely set up for that.

While I am outside the box, most of the major colleges were using the revenues generated by football and basketball to primarily underwrite the other non revenue generating sports. To a degree paying football and basketball players will eat into that largesse.

Just a thought.