Columbia Head Coach Opening

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
whiz wit

Re: Columbia Head Coach Opening

Post by whiz wit » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:39 pm

Justafan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:00 pm "If you're a Lehigh grad, what year?"

1975 and 1979

You would think that cheesesteaks would have it's own thread by now :-)
Anybody remember George coming into the freshman dorms with boxes of cheesesteaks and hoagies and calling out from the end of the hall "Hoagie Man"?

That was my introduction to the cheesesteak and I thought I had landed in heaven.

jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Wed May 01, 2024 8:38 pm

whiz wit wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:39 pm
Anybody remember George coming into the freshman dorms with boxes of cheesesteaks and hoagies and calling out from the end of the hall "Hoagie Man"?

That was my introduction to the cheesesteak and I thought I had landed in heaven.
Year? Like Richards 3A in 1971-72 calling out "Hoagies here! Hoagies and cheesesteaks! They gratify, they satisfy! Every bite is a gastronomical something something extravaganza!"

Nope, doesn't ring a bell.
HFO

Post by HFO » Thu May 02, 2024 1:09 am

Discussion on why employers recruiting Ivy less.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careers ... 64#details
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Thu May 02, 2024 10:31 am

jdalu75 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:38 pm
whiz wit wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:39 pm

Year? Like Richards 3A in 1971-72 calling out "Hoagies here! Hoagies and cheesesteaks! They gratify, they satisfy! Every bite is a gastronomical something something extravaganza!"

Nope, doesn't ring a bell.
You guys missed Rubberman. During 66-67
George Porgie

Post by George Porgie » Thu May 02, 2024 2:56 pm

I brought other things that I kept on the down-low and I graduated from Manhattan School of Music, it's a subsidiary of University of Phoenix.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Fri May 03, 2024 8:05 am

George Porgie wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:56 pm I brought other things that I kept on the down-low and I graduated from Manhattan School of Music, it's a subsidiary of University of Phoenix.
What music would you have set the pro-Hamas protests to?
George Porgie

Post by George Porgie » Sat May 04, 2024 8:40 pm

Mountain Hawk wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:05 am
George Porgie wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:56 pm I brought other things that I kept on the down-low and I graduated from Manhattan School of Music, it's a subsidiary of University of Phoenix.
What music would you have set the pro-Hamas protests to?
"Dazed and Confused".
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sun May 05, 2024 7:56 am

The Barney theme…..or Sesame Street theme song……cause ya know “they do pay for a meal plan”……
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun May 05, 2024 9:57 am

I had American Pie in mind
HFO

Post by HFO » Sun May 05, 2024 11:36 am

Richb-3 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:07 pm University of Phoenix?
Strayer University?

LOL?
You find that funny that someone seeks an education and that enough of them get jobs that it outranks other schools. Yes, they are likely getter lower level jobs, but nonetheless, they are getting jobs as college graduates.

Let me educate you up on a few local guys from the greater Lehigh Valley and then compare your CV to theirs.

Pat Gelsinger, graduated H.S. age 16, enrolled at Lincoln Tech. Worked for 2 years as electronics technician for my friend John Walson, the founder of cable tv, at Channel 69/Service Electric in Allentown. At age 18, with the education and skills learned at Service Electric, he got hired by Intel. Coming from a modest family, he leveraged that education, the money he earned, and went to college part-time at Santa Clara for BS Electrical Engineering and MS Stanford in Electrical Engineering by age 25. So from lowly Lincoln Tech with 9 years work experience, he accelerated his career doing double duty. Age 26, he wrote one of first books on programming 80386 processor. Age 28, he was project head of development of 80486 processor. Age 32, youngest VP at Intel in history of company. Became right hand man to Andy Grove. Age 39 became Chief Technology Officer. Hired away by EMC became President & CEO. 3 years later VMware hired him away and he grew it from 200 people to 20,000 people. 2021 Intel hired him back as CEO. Averaged over $30 million per year at his time at VMware. Paid over $200 million thus far by Intel.

Carl Eschenback, East Stroudsburg, PA. Education: 1 year at Bloomsburg University of PA. Certificate in Electronics from DeVry University, Worked as electronics technician and then technology sales. Former partner Sequoia Capital, current CEO of WorkDay, Board of directors of Palo Alto Networks, Inc., and has previously served as a member of the board of directors of Aurora Innovation, Inc., Snowflake, Inc., UiPath, Inc., and Zoom Video Communications, Inc. when he was investment partner and these companies were in his portfolio responsibility.
Prior to VMware, he held various sales leadership positions at 3Com, Lucent, Inktomi and EMC. Net Worth: +$3 billion
https://www.benzinga.com/sec/insider-tr ... eschenbach

Academic elitism is not an admirable quality. The quality of engaging in a life path of education and contribution to society it is regardless of where you begin your education. Attitudes of elitism is why recruiters DO PASS UP highly educated people from so called elite universities.

I would trade the attitudes of a Pat or Carl for anyone who comes out of an Ivy League or Patriot League college. Same thing I did when I screened Resident applications and then have them sit in front of me. I needed to know are they committed to the profession of serving others, committed to doing the work and wanted indicators of where they began in life and how they got to their current status and where they intended to go in life.

I do not laugh at any college graduate. I dig deeper into what do they know and what can the contribute. Where you start does not matter, where you finish does. We need more American success stories like Pat Gelsinger and Carl Eschenbach. They remind me of my lowly beginnings on a Blue Mountain farm in Schuylkill County in 1924 and the struggles of the Depression. Lehigh to me was equivalent to winning the lottery in my era when I graduated HS at age 16 and was admitted on scholarship. It was MIT, Carnegie Tech and Lehigh in that era. Caltech was known, but it was not quite the institution it is now. I was not unique back then. Lehigh was men of success at the high school level nationally and the vast majority of us were there on scholarship. It was not the parking ground of elite parents of the megaopolis that it has become now. There were a few who paid full tuition, but that was rarity to be from a wealthy family back in 1940.

On we go...the work to reform Lehigh continues. The elitism. Lack of a competitive strategy. Getting back to research and academic scholarship output. Improving the employability of students. Getting the most merit based students into the school as possible.