Monmouth

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
ngineer

Re: Monmouth

Post by ngineer » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:22 pm

I was pissed last week when Gilmore decided to punt at the Princeton 40 on fourth and one. Of course, punted into the end zone for a huge net of 20 yards. Then, today, with fourth and a foot or so, he tries a FG with a kicker who, at 40 yards, is testing the envelope. We do have a freshman who can hit from over 50, but...Regardless. With a strong back like Garcia, we should have gone for both. As a heavy underdog to both Princeton and Monmouth, you have to take some calculated risks; and I like the odds of making first down. The running game showed it was moving that firsts drive. We had the Monmouth defense on their heels. If you don't show confidence in your players, they won't have confidence in themselves. The Coach by his decision was sending that message.
The self-destruction week after week is also maddening. We are already heavy underdogs in these games without making it doubly difficult. The only bright spot, with Fordham coming to town, is that we should be scoring some points. Last year at Rose Hill was a tremendous game that we should have won. I like our front seven when they bring pressure. The secondary is concerning because it is experienced, yet still makes coverage mistakes leading to huge gainers, after having stopped the offense on the ground. Is an upset of Fordham likely? Odds say no; but, with a couple turnovers and pressuring Morat into a mediocre game, weird things can happen. But we must stop making mistakes.

Hawkineer

Post by Hawkineer » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:38 pm

ngineer wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:22 pm Is an upset of Fordham likely? Odds say no; but, with a couple turnovers and pressuring Morat into a mediocre game, weird things can happen. But we must stop making mistakes.
https://youtu.be/1k8craCGpgs
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:54 am

Sound familiar?

"The team we played today is an up-and-coming team, and the team that we're about to play is as veteran as veterans come. They're a very well-oiled machine on offense and defense and special teams, they have a number of fifth-year and sixth-year players back from a team that's won the Patriot League four years in a row, so they know what they're doing. It's a winnable football game if we learn these lessons. We are doing enough well as a football team to be competitive. It's just for us to continue down the right path, fix the mistakes that we made, learn from our mistakes, move forward and play 60 minutes of more consistent football."

His team is 0-4 and faces Holy Cross next week.

Bucknell HC Dave Cecchini.

I'll be rooting for the Bison to win next week, too.
IPSY1975

Post by IPSY1975 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:03 am

Sundayamqb wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:54 am Sound familiar?

"The team we played today is an up-and-coming team, and the team that we're about to play is as veteran as veterans come. They're a very well-oiled machine on offense and defense and special teams, they have a number of fifth-year and sixth-year players back from a team that's won the Patriot League four years in a row, so they know what they're doing. It's a winnable football game if we learn these lessons. We are doing enough well as a football team to be competitive. It's just for us to continue down the right path, fix the mistakes that we made, learn from our mistakes, move forward and play 60 minutes of more consistent football."

His team is 0-4 and faces Holy Cross next week.

Bucknell HC Dave Cecchini.

I'll be rooting for the Bison to win next week, too.
Thanks for the Optimism SDay

But if we had the old Coach A Coen , rest his Soul, running the Lehigh Football Team would there be any remote talk of stepping down to D3 and D2??? As I recall , Coach AC had Lehigh gaining PL titles and National Playoff contention. Same budget, same recruiting but different mindset and coaching smarts

Why is everyone looking at next weeks game with Fordham with such interests? They have a 4-1 record and are better than G'Town ...and the final score? ..Take a wild guess who wins

We have seen the same clown show of Lehigh Football for months and years ..

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" ..AE

Just fire this Coach already
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:19 am

Stepping down from 1AA is insane thinking period end of story. You don’t throw in the towel for all sports because of a bad run on the gridiron under strange circumstances beginning with AC demise.

When the PL adopted scholarships without need the hope was that the league could not only compete with the CAA but actually attract both Richmond & Villanova to switch conferences to join PL at least in Football. It remains a mystery why the entire league deteriorated vs achieving that objective. Hard to believe roster size limits make that kind of difference to offset the ability to recruit better talent with scholarships that we heretofore could not offer kids going to CAA schools.

At this point Holy Cross & for a while Colgate seemed to have figured it out so let’s simply bring in Stambaugh for next year & get on track to play Army & Navy & compete with CAA. Stambaugh was my choice in the first place but I was willing to give Gilmore a chance. I think he knows his days are numbered based on post game interview yesterday.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:39 am

Again. The NCAA is not likely to allow any school to, in the future, have sports at two different levels. Unless it involves a sport with less than 3 divisions, ie an otherwise D2 sports program could add Ice Hockey at either D1 or D3 level. LU use to have a D3 Ice Hockey, program. But the roof fell in (literally, at the arena where they played) when a knew facility appeared Ice Hockey ws restored, but a club level. If an IH alum volunteered to fund a varsity program, it would need to be D1.

If football were to go D2, so would everything else.

Make the program better. I, think that means a new head coach. Is there anyone here who thinks we do not need a new head coach?
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:50 am

ngineer wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:11 pm
Richb-3 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:22 pm To my knowledge There is no college that has 2 D1 sports in a gender and others at another level. (is there an indoor/outdoor track/XC exception

Lock Haven has men's wrestling and women's FH

JH has both M+W LAX.

I see 6 D3 schools playing mens Ice Hockey, all but from the
Liberty conference.
There are also about 6 D2 ICe Hockey programs in D1, but of course they must go up or down.
The wiki list I see does not show women
I believe some schools like Johns Hopkins, and Lock Haven for lacrosse and wrestling were "grandfathered" when the rule requiring schools to have all sports in the same division occurred. At that time, those schools were already D2 or D3 in their other sports, with the outlier sport remaining "big time". I don't think we could get that now. On the other hand. Perhaps it is time for the PL to consider dropping football as a league sport and let everyone decide which direction they want to go.
An interesting aside to this is LHU women's wrestling. if in a decade or three NCAA were to have three divisions of women's wrestling (and to date they have zero divisions) could LHU have D1 M+W wrestling and D1 W-FH, but D2 in their other ~18 sports in D2
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:25 am

LUEngineer wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:19 am Stepping down from 1AA is insane thinking period end of story. You don’t throw in the towel for all sports because of a bad run on the gridiron under strange circumstances beginning with AC demise.

When the PL adopted scholarships without need the hope was that the league could not only compete with the CAA but actually attract both Richmond & Villanova to switch conferences to join PL at least in Football. It remains a mystery why the entire league deteriorated vs achieving that objective. Hard to believe roster size limits make that kind of difference to offset the ability to recruit better talent with scholarships that we heretofore could not offer kids going to CAA schools.

At this point Holy Cross & for a while Colgate seemed to have figured it out so let’s simply bring in Stambaugh for next year & get on track to play Army & Navy & compete with CAA. Stambaugh was my choice in the first place but I was willing to give Gilmore a chance. I think he knows his days are numbered based on post game interview yesterday.
What did he say during the interview?
lu90

Post by lu90 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:38 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:39 am Is there anyone here who thinks we do not need a new head coach?

That would fall into 3 categories:

1. Anyone with the last name Gilmore
2. Anyone with last name Brisson (since the only one giving him a job is someone from Group 1)
3. Joe Sterret
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:12 pm

LUEngineer wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:19 am Stepping down from 1AA is insane thinking period end of story. You don’t throw in the towel for all sports because of a bad run on the gridiron under strange circumstances beginning with AC demise.

Can you all stop with the Stambaugh crap! High school is not college. It is quite rare to move to the college ranks as a HC from high school. There is so much more to running a college program. No disrespect to Phil, it's just a fact.