Holy Cross

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
DF2002

Re: Holy Cross

Post by DF2002 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:38 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:10 pm Holy Cross 42 Lehigh 14 Final

2 more games left in the Gilmore Era? Right?!?!
You have far too much confidence in Joe Sterrett. It gives me no pleasure to at that.

drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:04 pm

No fan is going to know the answer; a tiny few have influence and they're likely spending time online like this, although John Harmon '58 (football/wrestling donor) use to have it, he was the least likely to intervene.

Leave it to the anonymous onliners to talk the loudest, but no guarantees of anything with fund shortage to attract the right replacement. Want change? Dig into your pensions or portfolios.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:06 pm

>>>#239 Lehigh v. #137 Holy Cross
Holy Cross about 26 point favorite. I suspect they will have 26 points by end of 1st Quarter. HFO

.... So did you put your money where your mouth was, HFO?
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:12 pm

drd5748 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:04 pm No fan is going to know the answer; a tiny few have influence and they're likely spending time online like this, although John Harmon '58 (football/wrestling donor) use to have it, he was the least likely to intervene.

Leave it to the anonymous onliners to talk the loudest, but no guarantees of anything with fund shortage to attract the right replacement. Want change? Dig into your pensions or portfolios.
Nobody should be required to contribute to have an opinion about an obvious failure.

Dig into your pensions or portfolios? An obvious and feeble attempt to tell people that have a legitimate interest in the school and program to shut up because they don’t contribute enough to satisfy whatever arbitrary requirement you have?

For the record- I’m not so anonymous. Nor are others. Multiple people have written to Sterrett and others and signed our name to it.

As for the funds for a replacement…. I have zero confidence in the current management to use them productively. If we can’t a response to an email, why would I believe they’ll do the work required to right the ship?
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:14 pm

drd5748 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:06 pm >>>#239 Lehigh v. #137 Holy Cross
Holy Cross about 26 point favorite. I suspect they will have 26 points by end of 1st Quarter. HFO

.... So did you put your money where your mouth was, HFO?
Considering the team’s performance this season, not an unreasonable bet. Regardless, his larger point was proved correct. Gloss over it all you want but it was a rout which is what he was getting at all along.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:29 pm

Glad I went to the wrestling match and saw a nice win to open Lehigh's season. Got home in time to see the end of the debacle in Woostah. Then, watched the final 20 minutes of Colgate/Lafayette..our next two opponents. Just as with Cornell and Bucknell, these are beatable teams, but I have no confidence we will win. I can't recall a Lehigh team that shoots itself in the foot so many times. Preseason, I, optimistically, thought we could win at least four games, and with making things happen, maybe steal one or two by keeping close as underdogs and having some fortune. So, here we sit with ONE win and two to play. I read about the 'desert years' of the mid-late 1960's. Never thought I'd see history repeat itself. SMH. :cry:
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:19 pm

drd5748 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:04 pm No fan is going to know the answer; a tiny few have influence and they're likely spending time online like this, although John Harmon '58 (football/wrestling donor) use to have it, he was the least likely to intervene.

Always the solution for the academics - send more money.

How about doing the proper job with the money that has been allocated. The argument around here is that Lehigh is failing in this area - and badly. Send more money into the black hole of higher education? Hard pass.
Local82

Post by Local82 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:44 pm

The hiring of Gilmore was inconceivable at the time and the situation has only gotten worse.

A retread fired by a rival during the season.

Inconceivable.

I don’t think too many people want to toss money into the same process that yielded Gilmore.
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:54 pm

Local82 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:44 pm The hiring of Gilmore was inconceivable at the time and the situation has only gotten worse.

A retread fired by a rival during the season.

Inconceivable.

I don’t think too many people want to toss money into the same process that yielded Gilmore.
Exactly! It would be insane- doing the same thing an expecting a different result.

HC fired Gilmore mid-season. I’m sure Lehigh could find a way to replace him.
lu90

Post by lu90 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:44 pm

Mountain Hawk wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:19 pm

Always the solution for the academics - send more money.

How about doing the proper job with the money that has been allocated. The argument around here is that Lehigh is failing in this area - and badly. Send more money into the black hole of higher education? Hard pass.
I agree with the hard pass as well. No one is expecting a statement that says "Hey, we screwed up. We made a bad decision and now need alumni contributions to fix our mess". But any response whatsoever, to the many that have voiced their displeasure with the current state of the program, would probably be viewed favorably. But as previously noted, there has been nothing but crickets.

But let's explore that theory further. A name that has been thrown around in a potential coaching wish list previously is Nate Milne from Muhlenberg. I am somewhat certain a lot of fans here would be ecstatic with that hire. Zero clue if there is any interest from either side and not saying it would even be explored. But hypothetically lets say both sides did have interest. Are we to assume from your(drd) comments that absent that supposed coaching search slush fund from alumni, D1 Lehigh with their D1 budget is so strapped that it cannot compete with an offer attractive enough that it would entice a D3 coach to move up the coaching career ladder to D1? If that is the case, then this university under the current administration and leadership, would be the absolute last place I would feel confident that my contribution would be used wisely.

Although just saying, if a hypothetical GoFundMe page was setup with the sole purpose of helping fund a new football coach, you might be extremely surprised how much money would be contributed if it was certain to be used for exactly that said cause.

Regardless of who the next coach is and when he is hired, it is VERY hard to argue that the Gilmore Era is anything but a complete and utter failure!