Recruiting Coordinator

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
LUEngineer

Re: Recruiting Coordinator

Post by LUEngineer » Sun May 26, 2024 9:42 am

Would be great to reengage the Becahi/Blair connections & add Wyoming Seminary to the mix.

We are bringing in both Blair & Wyoming Seminary guys this year & next & hope to add a Becahi recruit next year.

These feeder school relationships are building with our coaching staff in my opinion & a Top 10 finish in Philly will help convince these kids that They can stay close to home & be part of a special big time wrestling experience.

I am an optimist on our future & will bring Mookie into the fold!!!

Justafan

Post by Justafan » Sun May 26, 2024 9:57 am

I mentioned in an earlier post that Lehigh enjoys a big reputation in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic region, the hotbed of high school wrestling.
Perhaps, a little less known, although I mentioned it earlier is that Lehigh is developing a really good reputation in California, which is also a big state for HS wrestling but lacking a strong collegiate presence. California is now the 4th largest source for incoming freshmen and I've recently been informed that in addition to our Western Admissions office in Northern California, we will be opening another one in Southern California (LA area). Bailey and Leia both fell into our laps but coordinating with these offices to identify and pursue these student athletes may produce a pile of talent.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Sun May 26, 2024 11:15 am

Justafan wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:57 am I mentioned in an earlier post that Lehigh enjoys a big reputation in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic region, the hotbed of high school wrestling.
Perhaps, a little less known, although I mentioned it earlier is that Lehigh is developing a really good reputation in California, which is also a big state for HS wrestling but lacking a strong collegiate presence. California is now the 4th largest source for incoming freshmen and I've recently been informed that in addition to our Western Admissions office in Northern California, we will be opening another one in Southern California (LA area). Bailey and Leia both fell into our laps but coordinating with these offices to identify and pursue these student athletes may produce a pile of talent.
Feeling a BIT more optimistic now! :roll: THANKS for update..
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Sun May 26, 2024 12:53 pm

>>>>>>I’m not opposed to adding another staff position for a recruiting coordinator, but to my understanding, we already have four coaches, an admin, a head coach for LVWC plus 8-9 LVWC wrestlers on the overall payroll.

To land and retain elite recruits in the NIl era, I believe we need to have funds available to match/exceed offers made by competing schools.

But since we don’t have unlimited funding, what point is the quest for Lehigh AAs and NCAA champs better supported by NIL funding for elite college wrestlers vs additional staff positions ( like a recruiting coordinator) or LVWC post grads?
mookie

Post by mookie » Sun May 26, 2024 1:26 pm

Reallocate existing resources to pay for the right person!
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Sun May 26, 2024 2:11 pm

>>>>>>> Reply to mookster: It’s just a function of setting priorities———- for instance— fewer LVWC post grads to add a recruiting coordinator.

Take the discussion one step further with another example———if a recruiting coordinator cost $60,000/yr all in——-would we be better using those funds for $30,000 /yr NIL offers to land/retain two more Crookham caliber wrestlers?
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Sun May 26, 2024 2:17 pm

Wrestling is a niche sport.

One doesn't have to beat the bushes to figure out who the top 100 wrestlers are.

The internet allows wrestlers to reach out to coaches and visa versa. Coaches can find academic information, tournament results, HS results, watch video to their hearts content.

We are only looking for about 7-8 wrestlers/year that fits our needs.

Most of the best talent in the country is within 50-75 miles.

A golf coach told me they get between 150-200 resumes and videos sent to them each year. Much of that can be eliminated quickly.

Clinics are and will continue to be our bet source for recruits. By even attending they have interest. Bonds are formed and talent truly evaluated.

I don't even understand what the job description of a "recruiting coordinator" would be but it would near the bottom of my list in terms of priority.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sun May 26, 2024 2:24 pm

Totally understand Florida Guy position that getting the best student athlete with a competitive NIL is first & foremost.

However, I believe we do not need to meet the competitive NIL $ amount as the recruiting pitch isn’t just about the $ as we have more to offer. The LVWC is an important component to attracting prospects & believe Rogers decision to come here was influenced by the quality of his workout partners for example.

Darian Cruz had a lot to do with Crookham decision in addition to the academic/career/location aspects that make Lehigh attractive. Not to mention the character of the coaching staff.

Like Mookie said, it’s about reallocating resources vs bringing on more staff to adjust to the new demands put on the head coach. We are in the NIL game now & we have a lot to sell the right kid to get the talent.

If it’s just only about the $ & wrestling then Lehigh is not the right place for that kid. Give me our share of the Crookham’s & Stanich’s that are out there & we will be proud fans come NCAA time.
Lvg123

Post by Lvg123 » Sun May 26, 2024 9:24 pm

A recruiting coordinator is just part of the game now. A bunch of the big schools have them. Didn’t DT just bring one in to help at OSU. Look at how Mytch helps Rutgers recruit the valley. They recruit the Valley better than Lehigh. Maybe they should give him a look.

Having a recruiter helps a ton. They are there for all those long shots that a normal coaching staff doesn’t have time to recruit. Plus they have more time to build that bond with the recruits. It gives the staff more time to focus on the team. Recruiting is very time consuming.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun May 26, 2024 9:36 pm

FloridaGuy wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:53 pm >>>>>>I’m not opposed to adding another staff position for a recruiting coordinator, but to my understanding, we already have four coaches, an admin, a head coach for LVWC plus 8-9 LVWC wrestlers on the overall payroll.

To land and retain elite recruits in the NIl era, I believe we need to have funds available to match/exceed offers made by competing schools.

But since we don’t have unlimited funding, what point is the quest for Lehigh AAs and NCAA champs better supported by NIL funding for elite college wrestlers vs additional staff positions ( like a recruiting coordinator) or LVWC post grads?
The LVWC is not a Lehigh cost line item. Certainly, we benefit from their presence in various ways, but the University’s wrestling budget is a separate animal. Recruiting at Lehigh is a tough assignment. To get the high quality wrestler who is also a high quality student requires a person who fully understands the demands made on a Lehigh athlete, as well as being able to see that Lehigh is the right place for the student. With the right focus, I think the position is worth consideration.